Travis

Picket Club, Liverpool
Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 10 May, 2010 7:00 PM Quote
Just a little anecdote about Travis from my weekend in Liverpool. If Fran has a read of this, or any Liverpool fans for that matter, please feel free to put me right on any facts I get wrong.....

So it was my birthday yesterday :) and to celebrate we went up to Liverpool for a sort of music and comedy pilgrimage. Basically to see the legendary city of culture in all its glory.

We were not disappointed....

First of all, we took the Pete Wylie rock history walking tour of the city. It was a download, before any '80's musos get excited. Sadly we didn't get to meet Pete Wylie, although a local cabbie did call him "the fat bastard", and gave us Pete's address in case the tour was a disappointment!!!

In fact it was a superb street by street study of all the venues and significant addresses, past and present, of Liverpool's pop music phenomenon. When we got to Leece Street, Pete mentioned the Picket Club, and said that in the '90's lots of relevant acts performed there, including blah, blah, blah and Travis.......

So, Fran, what set did you play there? Was this in the Good Feeling era or The Man Who? What memories do you have?

We're told that the Picket Club is now in Hardman Street, but that when you played there, it was at the original location.....

Long story short, that guided walk was one of the highlights of the weekend. (The comedy was excellent too -Lee Mack at the Philharmonic Hall)

The other highlight was seeing a live Beatles tribute act at the Cavern last night. And.....picking up the 50th anniversary souvenir cd, which includes, amoungst many others, Why Does it Always Rain on Me....And Fran's photo is mounted on the wall of the stairs into the club, where he's really giving it some on the vocals! Go Fran!!!

Another question: was that during the 2004 singles tour, when I'm sure you played there, or had you been there previously?

Either way, that is one amazing music venue. What a privilege that must have been...

As I've (most publicly) proclaimed that I've been feeling the loss of Travis of late, this weekend was a real shot in the arm. I know it was more along the nostalgia lines than a ray of hope for the future, but it reminded me of the wonderful Travis I know and love, and want back!!!!

Wow, what a load of waffle. Sorry for babbling on, but it has left me on a real high, and I needed to share.

Thanks folks. Have a great evening!

Re: Picket Club, Liverpool
Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 10 May, 2010 7:02 PM Quote
Sorry for all the duplicates, which are entirely because of error bloody 1!!!

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 17 Jul, 2010 8:10 PM Quote
That's a nice story. Where did you get the Pete Wylie download from? And was there talk of The Beatles in it?

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 20 Jul, 2010 7:07 AM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
That's a nice story. Where did you get the Pete Wylie download from? And was there talk of The Beatles in it?

For the download: http://www.visitliverpool.com/site/welcome-to-liverpool/liverpool-music-and-the-beatles/liverpool-rocks

And hell, yes, there was a lot of Beatles talk! The tour was a chronological journey, which started at the Eleanor Rigby statue, via Cavern Club, where the Beatles signed their record deal, where Lennon got his first guitar and so on. There were also other Liverpool acts who were big in the 60's I learnt, eg Gerry and the Pacemakers. Then it progressed through the 70's and every decade of Liverpool music through to the present.

It also took in venues and listed where visiting acts performed, which is why Travis got a mention :)

Highly recommended, including the lovely cafe where we had capuccino half way along!!!

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Tue 20 Jul, 2010 1:58 PM Quote

Always a pleasure to read you Tonie!! Sounds fantastic. :-D

I was planning this short trip to the UK for August. And my flight would be landing in Liverpool if it all went well. I had to reschedule my summer due to some problems at work. Awfully biting my nails now.

Note to self: 'Go see Picket Club in Liverpool hopefully on your birthday'. Way to go!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 20 Jul, 2010 3:55 PM Quote
Hey Merih, what a pity you're not planning to come here now..... :(

Liverpool is a great city for music lovers to visit.

(But I do hope you'll let me know if you ever make it to London!!! xxx)

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Wed 21 Jul, 2010 1:15 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

I was going to pop in to London and would have definetly let you know if the plan worked out. How can I come to the UK and not see you!?!? :-)

But anyway the Britain trip dreams fell through. It seems I am flying to San Francisco in August instead. For work that is. I will make it to London as soon as I can.

Miss you!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 21 Jul, 2010 5:39 PM Quote
champagnesupernova wrote:
Tonie wrote:

I was going to pop in to London and would have definetly let you know if the plan worked out. How can I come to the UK and not see you!?!? :-)

But anyway the Britain trip dreams fell through. It seems I am flying to San Francisco in August instead. For work that is. I will make it to London as soon as I can.

Miss you!

Merih, it has been too long (4 years I think). Have a great time in SF, and we'll hopefully get together again one day soon. Get yourself to London and I'll drive us both up to Liverpool!!! xx

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 23 Jul, 2010 9:29 AM Quote
Tonie wrote:

Merih, it has been too long (4 years I think). Have a great time in SF, and we'll hopefully get together again one day soon. Get yourself to London and I'll drive us both up to Liverpool!!! xx

So tempting to resist! :-)))

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 25 Jul, 2010 8:01 PM Quote
Hey champers and Tonie,
Thanks for the link. I've been before, but next time it will be audio-enhanced lol.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 05 Aug, 2010 2:19 PM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
Hey champers and Tonie,
Thanks for the link. I've been before, but next time it will be audio-enhanced lol.

Pleasure! Hope you enjoy :)

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Thu 05 Aug, 2010 5:21 PM Quote
Man, I gotta get there!!!

Pages [1] All Times UTC Current Time 12:31 AM