Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 3:23 AM Quote
Juli, I don't know what the technical answer is, but I would certainly say that your writen English is the highest level it could be. I know you are going to not believe that, but it's true. You have an exceptional grasp on the language.
Do you have options to pick from, or is it just blank to be filled out? I would def say you are fluent

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 4:14 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Juli, I don't know what the technical answer is, but I would certainly say that your writen English is the highest level it could be. I know you are going to not believe that, but it's true. You have an exceptional grasp on the language.
Do you have options to pick from, or is it just blank to be filled out? I would def say you are fluent

I totally agree with Kristy. I've never spoken to you but in terms your writing abilities you are very fluent.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 4:35 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
minnmess wrote:

I totally agree with Kristy. I've never spoken to you but in terms your writing abilities you are very fluent.

Why thank you, ladies! (I do think I could improve, though).
Unfortunately there are no options. It just says: "Inglés:......." (Inglés = English). Some friends told me to write "advanced". I might go with that.
Thank you!!!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 10:06 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
weirdmom wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Why thank you, ladies! (I do think I could improve, though).
Unfortunately there are no options. It just says: "Inglés:......." (Inglés = English). Some friends told me to write "advanced". I might go with that.
Thank you!!!

On application forms etc, there are usually 5 options, (from your posts and what other people have said I would put you at level 4 (Fluent) because I think your more advanced than level 3 and there's not a level 3.5...

1, Novice or beginner

A novice has extremely limited vocabulary and grammar, understands very little of the language when spoken normally, has difficulty making self understood by native speakers, and thus has serious problems in an immersion situation. A novice may be able to order food in a restaurant, buy a train ticket, and find lodging for the night, but only with great difficulty.

2. Intermediate (Survivor)

A survivor converses using basic vocabulary (time, date, weather, family, clothes); uses the present, past, and future tenses more or less correctly; and is aware of difficult grammar topics (e.g., subjunctive, relative pronouns), but either uses them incorrectly or awkwardly rearranges sentences in order to avoid them. Still needs to tote a dictionary and/or phrase book around, but can survive in an immersion situation: order food, give and receive directions, take a taxi, etc.

3. Advanced (conversationalist)

A conversationalist has the ability to converse about fairly abstract ideas, state opinions, read newspapers, understand the language when spoken normally (on TV, radio, film, etc.) with slight-to-moderate difficulty. Still has some trouble with specialized vocabulary and complicated grammar, but can reorganize sentences in order to communicate and figure out the majority of new vocabulary within the context.

4. Fluent (debater)

A fluent speaker can participate in extended conversations, understand the language when spoken normally (on TV, radio, film, etc.), figure out meaning of words within context, debate, and use/understand complicated grammatical structures with little or no difficulty. Has good accent and understands dialects with slight-to-moderate difficulty.

5. Native (Mother Tongue)

Someone who has spoken the language from at least the age of 5 (this age limit is subject to some debate: I've heard theories that a native speaker can have started learning the language as late as any time up to puberty). In theory, understands essentially everything in the language: all vocabulary, complicated grammatical structures, cultural references, and dialects. Has a native (i.e., invisible, "normal" in his/her region) accent.)

Hope this helps

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 3:04 PM Quote
Our van has been in the shop for a week. We hadn't heard from them at all, so Don called this morning. Well, guess what...they haven't even STARTED working on it because the insurance company is still investigating our claim. Come on, people! I can't help that we were hit on the left and the damage underneath is on the right. It's an old vehicle, it probably slammed into the curb and broke at the weakest point. Sheesh. We haven't filed a claim in over 10 years. It's not like we're trying to scam them.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 3:13 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Our van has been in the shop for a week. We hadn't heard from them at all, so Don called this morning. Well, guess what...they haven't even STARTED working on it because the insurance company is still investigating our claim. Come on, people! I can't help that we were hit on the left and the damage underneath is on the right. It's an old vehicle, it probably slammed into the curb and broke at the weakest point. Sheesh.

Bummer, It's a vehicle you'd think the garage would at least have called to say that they were waiting on the insurance company, it's common courtesy ffs. Hope you get it back soon.

Dubz

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 5:36 PM Quote
I finally stood up for myself at university. I get pretty good exam grades, and so people seem to think I'm some sort of oracle of exams. I've had a pretty stressful term since I got back - death in the family and too many deadlines for work that I care to think of - yet two girls in my class expect me to help them at every available opportunity. It's not going to happen any more!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 6:24 PM Quote
Thanks, Dubz, that's very helpful. Unfortunately "fluent" has no exact translation in Spanish. It would be something like "alto dominio del idioma" (literally "high command of the language"), but I don't want to give myself airs and then make too many mistakes, haha.
I think I'll put "advanced". And if they're interested in knowing how advanced, they can see for themselves when they interview me. :oP
Thank you all very much!

Turtleneck wrote:
Our van has been in the shop for a week. We hadn't heard from them at all, so Don called this morning. Well, guess what...they haven't even STARTED working on it because the insurance company is still investigating our claim. Come on, people! I can't help that we were hit on the left and the damage underneath is on the right. It's an old vehicle, it probably slammed into the curb and broke at the weakest point. Sheesh. We haven't filed a claim in over 10 years. It's not like we're trying to scam them.

That sucks! Can they just delay it indefinitely? How long does it usually take for an insurance company to investigate a claim?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 6:46 PM Quote
writing a CV cover letter. I am not so good at selling myself, but this job looks really cool!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 7:00 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
writing a CV cover letter. I am not so good at selling myself, but this job looks really cool!

Try not to think of it as being big-headed or arrogant or flashy or whatever...

There will be other people going for this job. FACT! Your cover letter (unfortunately) is the first thing the employer sees. Therefore you have to elaborate and exaggerate, for example if you like lying on the couch watching weepy movies word it as you have a "keen interest in Classic Cinema". You can take positives from nearly all previous jobs and hobbies/interests. It's what politicians do all the time, they just call it "spin".

Good Luck

Dubz

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 7:23 PM Quote
Have you ever applied to work at the Job Centre Dubz? You'd be very good.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 7:42 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
Have you ever applied to work at the Job Centre Dubz? You'd be very good.

Thank you, I'd love to do a job helping other people, I've worked for enough selfish, money-grabbing, greedy people in my time. I'm also not motivated by money, I get job satisfaction from pulling shit off and getting stuff done but even then... I think a job helping people would be very motivational.

Dubz

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 8:05 PM Quote
Well, I say this because my Mum spent years wandering between different jobs and never really found her "thing" and she now works at the Job centre and gets to help and organise people's careers and lives. It suits her and she does it well. Might be worth a look into......

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 8:10 PM Quote
Thanks I will, only problem is that over here they are run by the government whom due to the recession are trying to cut the numbers working in the civil service. But I shall still check it out. Thanks

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 09 Feb, 2011 8:50 PM Quote
it's for online marketing, so I was trying to say that beyond having professional experience I personally use fb, twitter, msg boards (!), flickr, etc and my friend coined a term for me: digtial butterfly!

Although the first time I typed it in, I put digital buttery. yum?

Pages Previous 1...66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:22 PM