Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 11:46 AM Quote
mili wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Most bank cards use a 4 digit pin, Which you can change to suit yourself. Which is handy all my pins are the same set of digits (bank card, mobile, etc.) Means I only have to remember one pin, If I'm issued with a pin for anything the first thing I do is change it to match the rest of them.

Dubz

Here you can't choose your pin, so I have to remember one for a cash point card, one for Visa, the door code of our building, pin for the library card (that I chose for myself) etc. Poor brains.

Really ?! that's a bit sh!tty, If you could I'd chnge them all to match the door code (probably the only one that couldn't be changed).

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 11:53 AM Quote
And then the next month the door code gets changed…

Actually, the card codes change every time you get a new card. It really is a pain in the backside. Once upon a time, when the direct debit cards were introduced (mid-1980's), I had a summer job at a bank, and back then you could still choose. It was done at the cash point with a member of the staff (who looked away as you typed the number in).

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 11:59 AM Quote
mili wrote:
And then the next moth the door code gets changed…

Actually, the card codes change every time you get a new card. It really is a pain in the backside. Once upon a time, when the direct debit cards were introduced (mid-1980's), I had a summer job at a bank, and back then you could still choose. It was done at the cash point with a member of the staff (who looked away as you typed the number in).

Over here (I assume the UK is the same) you can change your pin at any ATM at any time, even if it's not your bank (for example I can change my pin at an AIB (Allied Irish Bank)ATM even though my account is with Bank of Ireland)

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 2:48 PM Quote
okay, I will change mine to 4 digits soon. We can do ours at a bank machine too. I'm not sure how I change my Visa though. We just started having credit cards with the chip and pin code maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I had to set up a pin code when I got it, but I don't remember how. Perhaps I can just do that at the bank machine too. I shall research.

thanks!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 3:37 PM Quote
As some of you know, I have an irrational fear about using the telephone, especially making business calls.

Well, I just had to call the IRS (Internal Revenue Service). The scary tax people.

I couldn't sleep last night knowing I had to make this call. My hands have been shaking all morning. I just made the call and managed to get through it without sounding like too much of an idiot. But I think I'm having a mild panic attack, nontheless. My heart is pounding like it's going to explode. Breathe...breathe...breathe.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 3:43 PM Quote
Kayte I am in shock that you survived an IRS call. That is something even people who don't have a phobia fear. Good for you!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 3:44 PM Quote
way to go Kayte!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 4:16 PM Quote
I will say that the woman I spoke with on the phone was quite pleasant and very helpful.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 6:12 PM Quote

Well done, Kayte! That was brave. :o)

Not today's news bu yesterday's. I work in the area where the national and the city governments buildings are located, so there are demonstrations very often. My office is in the internal part of the building, so unless it's a huuuge demonstration, the noise doesn't bother me at all. But yesterday I had to work in an office that faces the main street... A few people were demonstrating across the street and they were playing very loud drums. They stayed there for over FIVE HOURS. It was an earsplitting noise, my head was about to explode and my pulse raised. I don't know how people can work in those conditions. I seriously considered taking a pill, as I was about to either start crying or screaming and banging my head against the wall.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 6:59 PM Quote
Well Done Kayte,

I just heard an almighty cruch then looked out the windae to see a car and a road sign interface, looks like some young fella has totalled Mummy & Daddy's BMW

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 7:15 PM Quote
We need a plumber to look at a few things so I was looking on yelp. The highest rated guy in Austin is Union Jack Plumbing. He is British and the slogan on his van is.....

wait for it.....

The British are plumbing!!!!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 27 Jan, 2011 7:23 PM Quote
Not a plumber but a Flooring company in Dublin.

Wonder if they answer the phone "Hello, Is it me you're looking for"

Dubz

deebee
deebee Posted Fri 28 Jan, 2011 11:02 AM Quote
I'm fidgety today. I'm supposed to be in London on Monday for Fran's gig at Dingwalls and I'm still waiting for the tickets to arrive. It's not looking good. I think Ticketweb should be prepared for an irate caller if they don't appear by tomorrow.

Edel
Edel Posted Fri 28 Jan, 2011 4:04 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
I'm fidgety today. I'm supposed to be in London on Monday for Fran's gig at Dingwalls and I'm still waiting for the tickets to arrive. It's not looking good. I think Ticketweb should be prepared for an irate caller if they don't appear by tomorrow.

Hope you receive them tomorrow Debbie. I ticked the 'print yourself' option here. Totally against my will but thought it might be a safer option than regular post which cost 3 euro. And they wanted 12 euro to send registered hmmph.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 28 Jan, 2011 5:39 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
We need a plumber to look at a few things so I was looking on yelp. The highest rated guy in Austin is Union Jack Plumbing. He is British and the slogan on his van is.....

wait for it.....

The British are plumbing!!!!

He take dollars ?

Pages Previous 1...61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:05 AM