Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
mili
mili Posted Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:42 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Is this true now? I was taught to ALWAYS use two spaces after a period.

Space Invaders
Why you should never, ever use two spaces after a period.

Well, zapping double spaces from clients' texts is one of the first things I do when laying out text. I've NEVER used double space after a period.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 12:20 AM Quote
mili wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Space Invaders

Well, zapping double spaces from clients' texts is one of the first things I do when laying out text. I've NEVER used double space after a period.

I learned to type of a typewriter and that was THE LAW! I just looked at some other websites and they say the same thing. Unless you're typing on an old typewriter, use single spacing. I don't know how I am going to change the habit of a lifetime.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 12:25 AM Quote
mili wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Space Invaders

This is funny. I'd never heard of two spaces after a period. I've always used one, and I've never known anyone who used two.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 12:36 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
mili wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Space Invaders

I learned to type of a typewriter and that was THE LAW! I just looked at some other websites and they say the same thing. Unless you're typing on an old typewriter, use single spacing. I don't know how I am going to change the habit of a lifetime.

I didn't learn to type on a typewriter, but I learned the two spaces after the period rule too. I still do it! Why do they keep changing the rules? It's like the comma between the last item and the word "and" when listing things. Ah!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 2:02 AM Quote
Now it brings up the question about semi-colons and colons. It was always one space after a semi-colon and two spaces after a colon. Now what? And I automatically click two spaces after a period. I can't help it. I'm like a robot.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 2:17 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Now it brings up the question about semi-colons and colons. It was always one space after a semi-colon and two spaces after a colon. Now what? And I automatically click two spaces after a period. I can't help it. I'm like a robot.

That's how I learned it too! Oh, and I guess I'm a robot too, 'cause I automatically click two spaces after a period too!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 2:41 AM Quote
Hey, we don't have to worry about it! Because look. I'm double spacing but it looks single space, right? And on Facebook, too. The computer fixes it all by itself! Brilliant!

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 11:20 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
mili wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Space Invaders

This is funny. I'd never heard of two spaces after a period. I've always used one, and I've never known anyone who used two.

Same here. Never heard of it.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 11:38 AM Quote
I'm off into the Mansion House in Dublin for a Career Zoo.

Dubz

deebee
deebee Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 12:48 PM Quote
I'm spending the whole day in the kitchen because I've got 15 people coming for dinner tonight to celebrate my little one's 7th birthday, eek!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 1:01 PM Quote
Im off to a first aid and CPR course. Thought it would look good on a resume/would be good to have when I am off travelling zee world. But I just looked out the window and realized how hard the snow is coming down. Looks like Im risking my life to learn how to save lives.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 1:46 PM Quote
Well that was a waste of fucking time, advertised an employment opportunities, it was full of companies trying to sell courses/seminars !!!

Deebee hope the party goes well.

Kristy First Aid is always handy to have on the ol' CV, especially if you are looking for a job involving kids. Good luck hope the snow eases off for you.

Dubz

deebee
deebee Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 3:31 PM Quote
So far on the menu :
Foie gras on gingerbread (sorry to those who find this completely repulsive but the French love the stuff)
Filet mignon with a cepe mushroom sauce accompanied with mini veg flans.
"assiette gourmande" which is basically a scoop of icecream with lots of different types of cakes and fruit. I'm trying to make mini chocolate fondant cakes (i've made 48 of them but the kids keep pinching them as I speak)
Bon appétit.

Dubz, any news from the interview? - I haven't had time to read all the posts today.
Kristy, first aid is a great idea and something on my "to do" list. Be careful on the road tho'.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 15 Jan, 2011 8:22 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
So far on the menu :
Foie gras on gingerbread (sorry to those who find this completely repulsive but the French love the stuff)
Filet mignon with a cepe mushroom sauce accompanied with mini veg flans.
"assiette gourmande" which is basically a scoop of icecream with lots of different types of cakes and fruit. I'm trying to make mini chocolate fondant cakes (i've made 48 of them but the kids keep pinching them as I speak)
Bon appétit.

Dubz, any news from the interview? - I haven't had time to read all the posts today.
Kristy, first aid is a great idea and something on my "to do" list. Be careful on the road tho'.

7 year old french kids are fancy!
Course done. Let me know if anyone needs me to save their live.

After the course I went to run a few errands. I had 2 gift cards with a couple bucks left on them each, so at both stores I told the cashier to keep them and the next customer could use them. Both cashiers looked at me like I was crazy. Just trying to be nice!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 17 Jan, 2011 8:05 PM Quote
Yesterday I was in a store and I heard a lady say to her child, "Do you want me to slap you? 'Cause I'm gonna knock you out!" The little boy was about 6 of 7, I'd guess. I can't understand how a mother could say that at any time, but especially in a store! Does she think everyone is going to think, "Now there's a mom who knows how to discipline her kid!" All I could think of was, there's a little boy who is going to grow up afraid or so used to threats that he'll think that's normal. Or heaven forbid that she actually follows through at some point.

Pages Previous 1...51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:42 PM