Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 23 Oct, 2010 9:15 PM Quote
I've been doing the sum total of "fuck all" today due to a massive hangover, haven't had a proper session in about 2 weeks and last night has fucked me up. Been sitting around all day drinking Irn Bru, rock shandy and watching House season 2. Couldn't even concentrate on today's sport.

I may also have made an arse of myself last night.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 24 Oct, 2010 9:13 PM Quote
Bunch of silly little errands today. Cashed some checks I'd had for a long time. Went on a wild goose chase trying to find the correct light bulbs for our dining room. Took back 3 bags of pop cans and did a little shopping at the grocery store...where they had the light bulbs I had been looking for all day! I bought all they had. Now to put the basement back together after the party we had yesterday and make sure we have all the finishing touches for Halloween costumes.

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 9:03 AM Quote
Kayte, how the hell did you manage to do all this on a Sunday? Don't things close for the day in the USA?

I went out with the girls on Friday night and ended up in a nightclub - we spent a good part of the evening discussing the rather dubious outfits we saw (nothing to do with halloween!!!) and I've decided I'm too old now to go to bed at 4am - I just can't hack it anymore, it'll take me days to recover properly.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 9:24 AM Quote
It's a bank holiday in Ireland today.

I've just been for a run, Incidentally the Dublin Marathon is today so the 5'Oh have the streets closed off. I'm now eating breakfast (Rice Crispies, Rock Shandy, Sausage, Egg, Beans & Bread). Then I'm going to go for a shower/shave and then search the interweb for Jobs/Courses.

I may even squeeze in a pint if my mate calls.

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 2:12 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
Kayte, how the hell did you manage to do all this on a Sunday? Don't things close for the day in the USA?

I deposited the checks using the ATM. The bank was closed. Grocery stores and other stores are usually open on Sunday until about 5:00 or 6:00 PM. On weekdays and Saturdays, most stores are open until 8:00 or 9:00 PM.

That was one thing we noticed when we were in Germany. Everything was closed on Sunday! We wondered how people got things done. If they work all day during the week, that only leaves Saturday for errands! And people would have to shop more frequently because the refrigerators were so small. We couldn't figure out how people found time to shop.

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 3:41 PM Quote
Yes, everything's closed here apart from the odd corner shop. I have to shop for food 2 sometimes 3 times a week (our fridge is small - or normal for European size lol) American fridges are gaining in popularity though :)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 3:44 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
Yes, everything's closed here apart from the odd corner shop. I have to shop for food 2 sometimes 3 times a week (our fridge is small - or normal for European size lol) American fridges are gaining in popularity though :)

What about when both parents work outside the home? How does the shopping get done? Plus, there's even more laundry because the washers are smaller, too. It seems like life is more work for the women (or whoever is in charge of running the household).

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 4:00 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
deebee wrote:

What about when both parents work outside the home? How does the shopping get done? Plus, there's even more laundry because the washers are smaller, too. It seems like life is more work for the women (or whoever is in charge of running the household).

Some people have their shopping delivered directly to their office/workplace where they can use a fridge to store fresh produce. Others simply go to the supermarket after work (oh joy!!) since they're open until about 8.30pm

Don't get me started on washing!! I've done 4 loads already today and have at least another 2 to do! I would love a huge machine.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 4:30 PM Quote
We did enjoy our German Sundays, though. With everything closed and the noise ordinance in the neighborhood, everyone was almost forced to relax. That was nice.

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 4:48 PM Quote
Definately! Sunday is for family time and chilling :)

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 5:12 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
We did enjoy our German Sundays, though. With everything closed and the noise ordinance in the neighborhood, everyone was almost forced to relax. That was nice.

You call them "German Sundays"? ;D

BTW, we shop on weekdays, after work, and on Saturdays of course, yep, but somehow supermarkets only get over crowded before Christmas holidays (it's a miracle, I know! ;D). Some cities in the North have started to do "open Sundays", but I'm soooo glad that's never going to happen in Bavaria (Catholic, holy Sunday and all)...

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 5:16 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

You call them "German Sundays"? ;D

BTW, we shop on weekdays, after work, and on Saturdays of course, yep, but somehow supermarkets only get over crowded before Christmas holidays (it's a miracle, I know! ;D). Some cities in the North have started to do "open Sundays", but I'm soooo glad that's never going to happen in Bavaria (Catholic, holy Sunday and all)...

When we were IN Germany, we just called them Sundays. (Sort of like, what do they call Chinese food in China? Food!) But now, yes, Sundays spent in Germany are German Sundays!
It seems like other countries take their relaxation time a lot more seriously than in the US. It seems like we have much fewer holidays and vacation time compared with other countries. Everyone works all the time.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 6:55 PM Quote
my laptop has stopped working. I've been trying to fix it for the last 3 hours. If it doesn't work in the next 5 mins. I'm going to fuck it out the window.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 25 Oct, 2010 9:54 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

When we were IN Germany, we just called them Sundays. (Sort of like, what do they call Chinese food in China? Food!) But now, yes, Sundays spent in Germany are German Sundays!
It seems like other countries take their relaxation time a lot more seriously than in the US. It seems like we have much fewer holidays and vacation time compared with other countries. Everyone works all the time.

Ah, yes, of course, that makes sense.

And you're probably right... you don't have an obligatory vacation/leave entitlement in the States, do you?
In comparison with countries like France and Finnland, we don't get that many paid days off, but compared with you guys we're LAZY...

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 26 Oct, 2010 1:06 AM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Ah, yes, of course, that makes sense.

And you're probably right... you don't have an obligatory vacation/leave entitlement in the States, do you?
In comparison with countries like France and Finnland, we don't get that many paid days off, but compared with you guys we're LAZY...

No, we don't. How much vacation time a person gets is up to the company you work for. They can give you none at all, if they choose. If they give you vacation time, I don't think they have to make it paid vacation time, either. The other thing, which I think we've talked about on the board before, is that if you do go on vacation, you have to work like a dog before you leave and then work like a dog after you get back to catch up. Sometimes a vacation ends up being more stress than not taking one. You're darned if you do and darned if you don't.

Pages Previous 1...26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:18 AM