Travis

Re: Today's News of YOU (part 2)
Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 19 Sep, 2011 11:17 AM Quote
I reckon my postman is stealing my interesting mail ... 'freebies' that I send for never turn up :-(

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 19 Sep, 2011 4:25 PM Quote

Voice of the beehive

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 20 Sep, 2011 9:08 AM Quote
Back in work after 3 to 4 days of serious alcohol abuse, man I'm in a heap.

Dubz

Sunny
Sunny Posted Thu 22 Sep, 2011 8:10 PM Quote

Seen in A&E yesterday: a bloke chopped his finger off with a chainsaw = blood on walls, the floor, himself, the nurse who said: 'let's have a look then ...' BIG mistake lol.
I've never seen so much blood in my life.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 22 Sep, 2011 10:26 PM Quote
I need to stop posting while intoxicated.

Dubz

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 23 Sep, 2011 5:46 PM Quote
Brief update on my job search (plus a rant).

I finally started getting interviews for real jobs! I had one last week in a small but interesting organisation. The interview itself went really well but the written task (a letter) was rather meh. They're supposed to let me know about the second stage interview (oh gawd) next week - long wait!

I just got back from another interview. 1 hour long written task went really well - letter plus responding to e-mails while prioritising and managing time on each task. Cake. But then there was an hour long interview with a panel of 3 people. This always freaks me out. 1 person - awesome, 2 - ok but 3 - I'm a hyperventilating mess. But it was going really well for the first 30 minutes but then I started babbling - I guess I just can't keep making a good impression for so long - I mean that is a really stressful, intense, exhausting situation! So yeah, meh.

Also, I feel really frustrated with the typical recruitment process. They always ask the same questions, you always say the same things in response - and always what they want to hear and you just know 5 people before you and 5 people after you will say the same things. What's. The. Point.

And today they kept asking me things like "How do you think the fact we work in accordance with the Child Protection Act will influence your role?". Ummm, it won't?! I will be an admin in the office full of adults! Seriously, what am I supposed to say to that so it wouldn't be total jibberish?

I also have another interview on Monday - it would be the most exciting role but also the hardest to get. Keep your fingers crossed!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 23 Sep, 2011 6:53 PM Quote
I don't understand what they could possibly gain by having you there for 2 hours! I really don't think there is a difference in getting to know a potential employee between a good 30 minute interview and a drawn out 2 hour one. You are right, a lot of times questions are just ridiculous and pointless and you are just telling them what they want to hear and it may not be a true reflection of you at all. Case in point, I have weekly checkins with my boss and this week she said: "I don't mean this as an insult, but you are much more introverted and shy than you came across in the interviews." Exactly! I wanted a job then. This is quietly work at my desk me, who sneaks off for lunch so that I can eat alone and check emails and twitter on my phone.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 23 Sep, 2011 7:24 PM Quote
Exactly! Also, I am much better at doing some things than talking about them. For example: prioritising, working to deadlines etc. I can honestly say I am really good at that. But I don't really have any standard procedure I follow (and they almost always ask about that). I just know what's more important when I'm asked to do more than 1 thing at once. And I manage my time well but rather...instinctively? But obviously I can't say that.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 23 Sep, 2011 8:19 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

And today they kept asking me things like "How do you think the fact we work in accordance with the Child Protection Act will influence your role?". Ummm, it won't?! I will be an admin in the office full of adults! Seriously, what am I supposed to say to that so it wouldn't be total jibberish?

Basically that's a question asked to see if you have done your research, most companies these days want you to massage their egos by researching what they actually do before you turn up for the interview, usually a quick google for some background info will suffice, give them some stock bullshit answer along the lines of... "this is something I'm not used to but I have worked within constraints before so I'm sure I can adapt to it very quickly"

Good Luck.

Dubz

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 23 Sep, 2011 8:50 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Exactly! Also, I am much better at doing some things than talking about them. For example: prioritising, working to deadlines etc. I can honestly say I am really good at that. But I don't really have any standard procedure I follow (and they almost always ask about that). I just know what's more important when I'm asked to do more than 1 thing at once. And I manage my time well but rather...instinctively? But obviously I can't say that.

And they always want examples of things. "Give us an example of a time you managed your time well." Umm everyday. When I get stuff done.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 23 Sep, 2011 9:04 PM Quote
I don't think this particular question proves my knowledge on the employer (which I always do a proper research on) - that's my point exactly, the only way to answer it is to give a bullshit answer.

@Kristy: Yup. They typically ask 'give us an example of the situation when you struggled to meet a deadline and how you managed to do so'. I freaking worked my a** off, that's how.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 23 Sep, 2011 10:13 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

Also, I feel really frustrated with the typical recruitment process. They always ask the same questions, you always say the same things in response - and always what they want to hear and you just know 5 people before you and 5 people after you will say the same things. What's. The. Point.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!EVERYONE. EVERYWHERE. SAME. QUESTIONS.

I HATE those "tasks".

The very first interview(s) I had for a real job went like this:
- Wednesday: phone interview, 1.5 hours (stage 1 of 4)
- Friday: interview (stage 2 of 4) - 4 interviewers, 3 hours (!!). 2 hours were spent with a terrible question-answer-marathon, then they went to the room next door and had me call them (on a real phone) and do a pretend sales call, and THEN there was a marketing related task. The marketing task was easy, but the sales thing was really hard and the question-answer thing before had ended with me (getting frustrated and) blocking questions... in the end, they hired a girl I know from uni. She had her own application website.

Anyway!
Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Gosia!!!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 23 Sep, 2011 10:21 PM Quote
Wow...that's...wow. I can't even imagine doing that. That is WAY too much for any role. Crazy!

And thank you, Lily!

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 23 Sep, 2011 10:40 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Wow...that's...wow. I can't even imagine doing that. That is WAY too much for any role. Crazy!

Yup. And it was my first interview for a real job, so it completely freaked me out. I had not anticipated anyting like that. But I think those people were just crazy ambitious or something, because my other interviews so far have have been more...normal (stupid questions, very strange tasks, once there were 7 employees and 3 candidates in one room - but, luckily, no 3-hours bullshit (*knockonwood*))

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 23 Sep, 2011 10:42 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
megg_inc wrote:

And they always want examples of things. "Give us an example of a time you managed your time well." Umm everyday. When I get stuff done.

!

Pages Previous 1...144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:44 AM