Travis

Missing Travis!
closergms1968
closergms1968 Posted Wed 21 Apr, 2010 9:26 PM Quote
I hate to remind you, but for most of us, it is coming up to nearly A YEAR since the last full Travis gig.
Its been a year and a half since my last Travis gig.
We listen every day (well i do) to their wonderful tunes on our i-pods or mp3s, going about our everyday lives.
If Franny does not get Wreckorder out for the summer holidays, i am going to explode!
We could be facing the prospect of no full Travis gigs for a period of 2 YEARS!
Could this realy happen.
Despite some people saying Travis are now not that popular here in the UK. I just want to say that is coswallop!
There are at least a thousand or three in many cities up and down the country who would bite your hand off to get a ticket to a Travis gig when you boys get back together to play live again.
Be honest...can we survive 2 YEARS without a live Travis injection?
Looks like we will have to... can you?

Re: Missing Travis!
CHILENA2006
CHILENA2006 Posted Wed 21 Apr, 2010 10:21 PM Quote
Well, I was thinking that for my are 2 years that I don't see Travis in a concert ... and maybe will be at least a couple more I'll have to wait to see them again. The distance to the Latino fans think has given us a lot of patience, to have them in our countries and also to expect a new album ... but like you I also wonder from time to time how long more will survive without an injection of travis? ... and in my case the answer is: The necessary! because I simply love Travis!
Closergms Good post!
See you around ....

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 21 Apr, 2010 10:38 PM Quote
I agree with Xime here. It's been over two years since my last (and first) Travis gig. Almost two years and a half actually.
So, you can survive. The only thing is, life is not as pleasant. ;o)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 22 Apr, 2010 1:07 AM Quote
I would love to see Travis soon, but i would guess that nobody will be seeing Travis again until next year. I hope Fran tours, and i would love to see him live. That would be great! :)

closergms1968 wrote:
Despite some people saying Travis are now not that popular here in the UK. I just want to say that is coswallop!

Hmm... Ode To J Smith was in the top 100 album chart for 3 weeks. I wouldn't say that was popular. The Man Who was in the top 100 for well over a year. It's very true that Travis are not a popular band, and certainly not anywhere near as popular as they used to be. I don't think anyone can say anything other than that.

mili
mili Posted Thu 22 Apr, 2010 6:48 AM Quote
Hrm, some of us have never seen them live.

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 22 Apr, 2010 1:17 PM Quote
It doesn't matter how popular their last album was in the UK as long as they still have a "name" their. And they do - you realise that if you listen to the radio and music tv stations ...4 times in only one week during my london stay? ..

also the second time i was there..that's not just good old luck.

well anyway i'd love to see them again...and i'd love to see them in small venues again :) loved the big open airs..but..it's just something different..

hmm Fran said something about touring, right?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 22 Apr, 2010 2:15 PM Quote
I would imagine most people think they split up 5 years ago. I've certainly read comments like that on other websites. They're very, very rarely on the radio. The last few singles didn't even make radio play lists and i've seen them once on a TV music channel (and that was Driftwood) in the last year or so. In my own experience of living here, they're not popular. Unfortunately.

closergms1968
closergms1968 Posted Thu 22 Apr, 2010 6:11 PM Quote
Ah debate. Nice to see the board a bit lively again.
Of coarse what i meant to say was, that some people have said in the past, that Travis are not as popular here in the UK compared to the rest of the world.
Now they may get more people attending one gig in singapore than say wolverhampton (uk). But on the whole there cant be a significant difference in attendance figures for gigs across the world.
Yes of coarse, on the whole Travis are no where as big as at the peak of thier careers. Not many bands (in percentage terms) continue 14 years after formation to pull in 5000 to 10000 people at a gig. Only the biggest still can.
Travis are not THE biggest band anymore. (probably never were)
However they are equally (imo) as popular in the UK as the rest of the world.
Travis may as well never tour the uk again, if you believe the importance of current album/singles sales, and negative opinions.
But the deciding factor as to whether people want to see Travis in concert (imo) is not whether the last single or album sold 50,000 or 100,000, but the QUALITY of the live performance and the music
Ode to J smith did still hit the top 20 in the UK. (with virtualy zero promotion)
And two singles did top the indie charts. (ok i could be wrong about Somethimg Anything)
Dont think OTJS did so well in other parts of the world.
So not bad for a band 14 years on.
Bands do go in and out of fashion. Some bands from 20 to 30 years ago come back after long quiet spells out of the limelight and become popular again, simply because there are not a lot of good bands that survive that long, as i'm sure Travis will survive.
So come on Travis, do not believe this UK negativity.
Come back after Frans Holiday, and blow us all away again with your wonderful timeless music. ;-)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 22 Apr, 2010 7:48 PM Quote
I can't comment on how popular Travis are in other countries because I don't have the experience to give an opinion. I was not comparing their popularity between this country and other countries. Just giving my opinion on their popularity here.

I love Travis and hope to see them live again as soon as the opportunity comes. And I'm not being negative. I'm just saying that Travis are not a popular band at all. Which is a shame, because The Boy and Ode are both great albums that deserved more. :)

CHILENA2006
CHILENA2006 Posted Thu 22 Apr, 2010 8:20 PM Quote
Yes! I love it when I see that there are new debates!!!
:D
Well, the truth is that from this corner of the world, things are quite similar to the expose you did ... except for some things ... the number of fans in Latin America is great but not enough in Europe or America ... Travis has always been, at least in my country a band "selected", ie not necessarily the popular taste ... except his best known songs. Those who we follow them, usually love that style of music.
OTJS do not go as hard as he did there ... but I trust that the next album if you will;)
I think that like everything in life there are moments in rise and fall ... moments when you need to do a "high" to reinvent themselves and go ... for me this time of "pause" makes me appreciate more the start of a new album ... everyone ends up being for me a small fortune......
and Ben ... of course you're not negative...you just sharing with us your opinion .... your characterizes you as someone who always speaks his mind ... and believe me... it's appreciated!!!!... by the way ... I agree with you when you say: "The Boy and Ode Both are great albums more Deserved That" much, much more ...
I hope the return of Travis in "glory and majesty" as they deserve ... are a great band!

See you guys!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:01 PM Quote
The old chestnut rears it's head again. Listen to the wise words of Ben boys and girls. He is on the money!

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 24 Apr, 2010 7:33 PM Quote
Travis were a bit popular here in Spain during The Invisible Band era, but they've never been a big band here. Everytime they've played here it was in small venues (let's say 2,000 people maximum). I'm talking about their own gigs, not festivals or that stuff.

Nell
Nell Posted Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:15 AM Quote

guess then it depends on the region cos in london - seriously - i heard them all the time on the radio...

i mean if it is like you said than that must be some huuuuuuuuuuuuge coincidence...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 25 Apr, 2010 7:21 PM Quote
I don't think hearing them 4 times on the radio that particular week is the best way to judge it. It was either a coincedence or a London station that I don't have access to, because that certainly isn't normal. :)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 26 Apr, 2010 9:14 AM Quote
Nell wrote:

guess then it depends on the region cos in london - seriously - i heard them all the time on the radio...

i mean if it is like you said than that must be some huuuuuuuuuuuuge coincidence...

Again, without wishing to sound like the Ben fanclub (!), he is absolutely right. I live in London, have music radio on all the time (mainly XFM and Absolute), and rarely hear Travis.

Makes your visit all the more exciting cos it contained a genuine rarity!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 5:24 PM