Travis

FAO Dubz: Mogwai
mili
mili Posted Sun 31 Jan, 2010 6:11 PM Quote
I found two Mogwai cds (Mr. Beast and The Hawk is Howling) in our library, and thanks to you, took them out. Good stuff!

Re: FAO Dubz: Mogwai
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 31 Jan, 2010 6:17 PM Quote
isn't there a mogwai movie coming out in a bit ?

this one gets played a lot love it

http://img13.nnm.ru/imagez/gallery/c/5/e/8/3/c5e836bd7c33ab9a36afc7a61a3fda97_full.jpg

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 31 Jan, 2010 7:19 PM Quote
Nice one !!

I love The Hawk is Howling it's a return to their earlier stuff. Batcat, Scotland's Shame, Jim Morrison and I Love You I'm Going to Blow Up your School are stand outs for me.

Mr Beast is also very good but more "rock"

As suggested by my learned collegue Mr.Ric try to get your hands on Happy Songs for Happy People (The first track Hunted by a Freak is amazing).

My personal favourite album is Come on Die Young (C.O.D.Y.) it has excellent stuff on it... Waltz for Aidan, Punk Rock (which features an interview with Iggy Pop) & CODY.

The may be up on my Multiply page but if not gimme a shout and I'll see what I can do.

Multiply site

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Tue 09 Feb, 2010 8:11 PM Quote
Thank you, Happy Songs for Happy People is excellent, love the first track!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 09 Feb, 2010 8:31 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Thank you, Happy Songs for Happy People is excellent, love the first track!

It's Dee's favourite too !!

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Fri 08 Apr, 2011 5:30 PM Quote
After the concert on tuesday I'm getting deeper and deeper into Mogwai world. They played one song I didn't recognise (Mogwai Fear Satan), which blew me away (as everything else, too, they're like wind when the sound wall starts). So I bought the first album, too. I've got seven of their albums now, is something missing?
Another recent favourite song besides the new album is Friend of the Night.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 09 Apr, 2011 7:22 AM Quote
mili wrote:
After the concert on tuesday I'm getting deeper and deeper into Mogwai world. They played one song I didn't recognise (Mogwai Fear Satan), which blew me away (as everything else, too, they're like wind when the sound wall starts). So I bought the first album, too. I've got seven of their albums now, is something missing?
Another recent favourite song besides the new album is Friend of the Night.

When we went to see them here they did Mogwai Fear Satan, I think Dee got a bit of a fright when the "loud" part kicked in but she was knackered so I suppose it's understandable, it also pissed me off a bit that the whole way through the "quiet" parts people were chatting, I read a review that said Stuart Braithwaite (guy who does all the talking was making scary faces because people wouldn't be quiet. It was my Dad who inmtroduced them to me and I think he liked them for the quiet/loud sound that they have probably Mogwai Fear Satan is the best example of this. I think the albums go...

Young Team
CODY Come On Die Young
Rock Action
Happy Songs for Happy People
Mr Beast
The Hawk is Howling
Hardcore Will Never Die but You Will

Then if you really want to collect them all (they're good but I would just download them)...

EP+6
Ten Rapid
Special Moves (Live)
Kicking a Dead Pig (remixes: including My Bloody Valentine doing Mogwai Fear Satan)
Zidane (soundtrack)

If you want I can try to upload the above somewhere, Then there are two I don't have (I will get around to it)...

Government Sessions (BBC Raio Sessions)
My Father My King/Hasenhide (EP)

I also "burned" a couple of CDs made up of the setlists to the two Dublin Gigs I've been to, these get played a lot.

I wasn't a huge fan of Mr Beast at first as I would say it's the "Heaviest" album but the more I listened to it the more it grabs me. Tbere are some wonderful tracks on it Friend of the Night, Auto Rock, Glasgow Mega Snake & We're No Here for example. I also love some of the titles of the tracks... A Cheery Wave from Stranded Youngsters, You Don't Know Jesus, I Know You Are But What Am I, Hunted By A Freak, I'm Jim Morrison I'm Dead, I Love You I'm Going To Blow Up Your School and my personal favourite at the moment... George Square Thatcher Death Party. I watched an interview recently with Stuart where he was asked how they name their tracks and he admitted to it being just nonsense, stuff they come up with while they are messing around in the studio, for example they were recording something and it had taken them days so Stuart was knackered as he'd had bugger all sleep, they were starting a tour straight afterwards as he was walking through the airport they saw Lionel Richie, Stuart wanted to say hi and walked over but was so sleep deprived and tired that all he said was "You're Lionel Richie !!" the lads teased him about it and the name for another track was born.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Sat 09 Apr, 2011 8:06 AM Quote
Most of my Mogwai collection is either downloaded from iTunes or copied from library cds. I preordered the new one, and it came with an amazing extra cd with just one track Music For A Forgotten Future (The Singing Mountain) (and a pair of ear plugsā€¦)
I made a setlist cd of the tuesday's gig, it's very good. I tend to make setlist cds of concerts I've been to, the Teenage Fanclub one has been popular, too.

I liked the fact that the Finnish audience was pretty quiet, I didn't hear any talking!

mili
mili Posted Tue 19 Apr, 2011 5:04 PM Quote
Seen this? They can actually talk!

http://www.noisey.com/#!/view/meet-mogwai

Pages [1] All Times UTC Current Time 5:48 PM