Travis

Global Giving Earthquake Relief in Haiti
melissam3173
melissam3173 Posted Thu 14 Jan, 2010 3:27 PM Quote
As you all know on January 12, a 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck Haiti outside the capital of Port-Au-Prince. The devastation is severe: the capital is in ruins, thousands are feared dead, and many more critically injured. GlobalGiving is partnering with local and international organizations providing emergency relief including food and water, shelter, and medical supplies. As the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, Haiti's needs are dire.

The situation in Haiti continues to worsen, with thousands feared dead, and countless others buried and injured in the rubble as a result of the worst earthquake to strike Haiti in 250 years. An estimated 3 million people have been affected, and with Haiti's infrastructure already weakened by years of poverty, political instability, and strife, officials fear a major humanitarian emergency in one of the world's poorest countries.

Many of GlobalGiving's project partners are mobilizing to provide emergency supplies including food, water, shelter, and medical supplies and care. You can help by contributing to the GlobalGiving Relief Fund for Haiti Earthquake, or supporting the activities of any of the specific projects from our partners in the region.

Hoping you all will help. I have already donated!
http://www.globalgiving.org/haiti-earthquake/

Re: Global Giving Earthquake Relief in Haiti
SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Thu 14 Jan, 2010 3:40 PM Quote
This is so sad, and what makes it worse is that Haiti was already such a poor nation. Talk about really having nothing now.

Thanks for posting, Melissa.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 14 Jan, 2010 4:13 PM Quote
It's really sad, and it seems like there is one of these giant diasters every few years. New Orleans, tsumani, etc.

I read today that the Dominican Republic, who have historical differences with Haiti, sent in machinery, etc to help clear away rubble. It's nice to see that in the fact of tragedy, atleast people are willing to put aside political or personal differences for the betterment of humanity.

sad. very sad.

Kristy
Kristy Posted Thu 14 Jan, 2010 8:43 PM Quote
Also, for those in the UK - Shelterbox provides immediate help with tents (one tent can house a family of ten for a year), water purifiers, tools, heating equipment and much more all in one box.
Any donation goes straight into creating more Shelterboxes and at least 400 are currently on their way to Haiti.

edit: I just discovered you can 'track your box' - great idea!

melissam3173
melissam3173 Posted Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:41 PM Quote
I saw the Shelterboxes being used on tv! I was very excited to see that they are receiving something. America is on the way. You gotta love Hilary (well the Clintons) for making it happen.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:51 PM Quote
melissam3173 wrote:
. You gotta love Hilary (well the Clintons)

No I don't !!

Basically essential security forces and government including the Prime Minister have to take time out in a national emergency because Mrs Hilary "denial" Clinton wants to visit so she can look like a humanitarian in front of the world's media.

Or perhaps I'm just being cynical...

Dubz

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Sun 17 Jan, 2010 12:37 PM Quote
I like that Arcade Fire are trying to run a campaign to heal the wounds in Haiti. Because Regine's heritage is originally from the island I think this is a meaningful step from the band. And it is amazing they put it on the very main page of the website. Hope all get better soon.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 27 Jan, 2010 7:11 PM Quote
Great video/article about the situation in Haiti and the history of the country.
Really good. The one thing it doesn't mention is the "independence debt" that Haiti had to pay France, which it finally paid off in 1947, 143 years after the country declared independence (1804)... Clearly it's only right that a colonizing country demands reparations if its colony wants to regain its liberty, isn't it? *Sigh*
But Kim Ives, the interviewed journalist, does a great job explaining what happened afterwards, so the interview helps to understand how Haiti became such a poor country. And it gives first hand information about what's happening with aid distribution.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 11:17 AM