Travis

Re: Travisonline Reading Club
megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 19 Aug, 2011 9:48 PM Quote
I finished 'Jane Eyre"! Woohoo, 8 months! ;D

I'm finishing 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro - I liked the movie but the book is SO much better. Really makes you think...

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sat 20 Aug, 2011 2:35 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

I'm finishing 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro - I liked the movie but the book is SO much better. Really makes you think...

I can't think of a film that was better than the book ... *ponders* ...

mili
mili Posted Sat 20 Aug, 2011 2:47 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

I visited the Brontë country this summer. Haworth is a nice village, but I can't help thinking that it would look quite different if the Brontës hadn't lived there

Sunny wrote:

I can't think of a film that was better than the book ... *ponders* ...

Indeed. I find it's always better to read the book before seeing the film, the images of the film might spoil the enjoyment. There are often annoying mistakes with details, such as the main character having blond hair, when the book says he's got dark hair etc.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 20 Aug, 2011 4:14 PM Quote
The only movie I can think of that was better than the book was "How to Make an American Quilt." I saw the movie first and really liked it, so I read the book. The book was so dull and odd that I can't imagine anyone reading that and wanting to make it into a film.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 22 Aug, 2011 11:20 PM Quote
I've just finshed Jodi Picoult's Sing You Home. I admit to skim reading the latter part, I just wanted it to end!

Simon Beckett's The Calling of the Grave I read in about 8 hours - I didn't realise that he's big in Germany and Scandinavia. Here in the UK hardly anyone's heard of him.

I'm reading some 'how to write a novel' books, because I am trying to write a novel (the emphasis must be on 'trying'). I figured that I've got so much time on my hands that I should put some thoughts on paper, and I find it theraputic.
I just found a website which analyses who you write like. You paste in some of your writing and it analyses it (not sure how scientific it is!)
I write like

Mine came back as ... JK Rowling.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was lol. I've never even read the HP books!

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Tue 23 Aug, 2011 5:00 PM Quote
I just read 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'...really liked it. :)

rella
rella Posted Wed 24 Aug, 2011 4:25 PM Quote
je ne sais pas de quoi
of course everybody is thinking this is a good book
maybe it is better to write not commercial about this book i am thinking more thinking is better or no fran said about this
his songs sorry i am not here like everyone but i love this music and the feeling for the world it brings

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 24 Aug, 2011 7:03 PM Quote
Just finished The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, even read all the appendices.

Exceptionally good book, believe that JRR Tolkien was trying to create a mythology when writing it.

Dubz

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 24 Aug, 2011 7:45 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

I just found a website which analyses who you write like. You paste in some of your writing and it analyses it (not sure how scientific it is!)
I write like

Mine came back as ... JK Rowling.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was lol. I've never even read the HP books!

Err... I'm pretty sure it's not scientific at all or it wouldn't tell me that the first paragraph of my Essay on the horrors of university life is similar to ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE'S writing and the second (oh well I get the "horror" part) to H.P Lovecraft's *LOL*

goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Wed 24 Aug, 2011 8:21 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Just finished The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, even read all the appendices.

Exceptionally good book, believe that JRR Tolkien was trying to create a mythology when writing it.

Dubz

You're my hero. I think I only got through the second book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I like Tolkien, I just had a short attention span when I tried reading it. I may have to add it to my goodreads queue and give it another go. :)

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 19 Sep, 2011 11:15 AM Quote

Is anyone doing NaNoWriMo?

mili
mili Posted Mon 19 Sep, 2011 5:25 PM Quote
Just finished Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. Chilling stuff, an excellent book.

mili
mili Posted Wed 28 Sep, 2011 3:01 PM Quote
Just finished Twice Born by Margaret Mazzantini.
Amazing book, a lot about Sarajevo siege, amongst myriad of other things. Some parts were a bit nasty, but I had to keep reading. 464 pages in less than four days, and I was working a lot, too!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 01 Oct, 2011 11:45 PM Quote
I'm finishing 'Stories We Could Tell' by Tony Parsons. I absolutely love it! It's a wonderfully nostalgic coming-of-age novel about 3 guys working for a music paper in London in 1977. The entire story takes place on the night when Elvis Presley died. The tagline says "Oozes rock'n'roll" and it really does!

mili
mili Posted Sat 01 Oct, 2011 11:46 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
I'm finishing 'Stories We Could Tell' by Tony Parsons. I absolutely love it! It's a wonderfully nostalgic coming-of-age novel about 3 guys working for a music paper in London in 1977. The entire story takes place on the night when Elvis Presley died. The tagline says "Oozes rock'n'roll" and it really does!

Sounds promising.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:13 PM