Travis

Re: The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa thread
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 06 Jul, 2010 9:44 PM Quote
Uruguay, my hat is off to you. They've played the most thrilling games I've seen in the whole tournament. Uruguayans play football with their hearts, it's fantastic. They got to play in the Cup thanks to a play off and now made it to the top 4. And these last two games were incredible. No other team is nearly as eager as Uruguay. They're the real winners in my heart. Garra charrúa a muerte!!! So proud of my brothers. :o)

Now if my dream about Netherlands winning the cup comes true, I might be becoming clairvoyant, lol. I just hope I'm wrong. Germany plays much better.

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Tue 06 Jul, 2010 11:38 PM Quote
Oh, my! Again, what a game!! I was already so happy with what was achieved that I didn't take this game too seriously... or so it was until Maxi Pereira brought us back to life. Breathtaking!
I'm so proud of our players :D
I can't stop smiling even though we just lost and missed our historical chance to be in the final. I had predicted the score was going to be 2-1, an obvious victory of Netherlands over us.

However, when Forlán scored his goal with such accuracy, I started to believe. These guys have made that possible, I'm a believer. I'm not sure whether or not their second goal was off-side (the referees give me no guarantee), but that certainly determined the way we were going to be playing for the rest of the game. Surprisingly, they weren't giving up and they kept trying to tie the score, their efforts were incredible!

From this day on, people in my country will stop living of past memories and there are 24 men to thank. Children will talk about Cavani (and his silent magic), Muslera (our flying hero), Diego Pérez (our warrior), Suárez (our saviour) and Abreu (and his share of craziness), the same way that we grew up talking about a team which made a whole country weep (Brazil, 1950). The only difference is that the images are no longer black and white, the effect on people is pretty much the same.
Now, I believe any-thing is possible, you just have to put up a fight and always hope for the best outcome. If it doesn't happen, at least you get to hold your head high :):)

monkey
monkey Posted Tue 06 Jul, 2010 11:48 PM Quote
Suárez- a saviour to some, a cheating prick to others

The second goal in my opinion was offside and it's what Uruguay deserved.

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Wed 07 Jul, 2010 12:03 AM Quote
monkey wrote:

Actually, you should tell FIFA to change the rules because, according to their book, Suárez is by no means a cheater. He didn't get away with it. He missed this game (which was what he deserved) and Ghana had the opportunity to score with the penalty kick. That's fair enough, like it or not.

monkey
monkey Posted Wed 07 Jul, 2010 12:24 AM Quote
Ana_Smith wrote:
monkey wrote:

Actually, you should tell FIFA to change the rules because, according to their book, Suárez is by no means a cheater. He didn't get away with it. He missed this game (which was what he deserved) and Ghana had the opportunity to score with the penalty kick. That's fair enough, like it or not.

He stopped the ball with his hands, it's cheating. He's no better than Henry. France were made to look like a joke in the finals and Uruguay were shafted by an offside goal. Both nations got what they deserved, f*** all

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 07 Jul, 2010 12:43 AM Quote
they kept trying until the last seconds... hope they beat germanny on Sat

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 07 Jul, 2010 2:41 AM Quote
monkey wrote:
Ana_Smith wrote:
monkey wrote:

He stopped the ball with his hands, it's cheating. He's no better than Henry. France were made to look like a joke in the finals and Uruguay were shafted by an offside goal. Both nations got what they deserved, f*** all

It's totally different from the France-Ireland game. Suárez got a red card and Ghana got a penalty kick, and then Suárez missed the next game, which is what the rules say should happen. Henry, on the other hand, got away with it. If those situations are the same, then I don't know why the FIFA even bothers penalising handballs at all, if it makes no difference at all if players get penalised or not for touching the ball with their hands. I don't know what else you expected, since it all happened by the book. Suárez stopped the ball with his hands and was penalised the way the rules say he should have been. It's not Uruguay's or Suárez' fault that Ghana didn't score that penalty kick. If you're expecting anything else than what actually happened, you might want to start a petition to change the rules of the game.
In the meantime, and as long as the rules remain the same, Uruguay fairly made it to semi-finals (and today played an excellent game, even if they lost). Why would Uruguay deserve to lose when the rules establish that it is the player who commited the foul (and not the whole team) the one who should be punished? Uruguay didn't deserve to lose at all because of what Suárez did. Suárez had already been penalised for what he did. I think it's just a wish you had, but this has nothing to with what the rules say.

I, for one, think that he sacrifised himself for the team. It was so evident that there was no use trying to get away with it, and he didn't, he paid for what he did. Unlike other cases (Henry, Luis Fabiano...) the rules were followed and that's good enough for me. Ghana not scoring that penalty kick was bad luck, since Gyan is a great scorer. But saying Uruguay deserved to lose this game, frankly, is taking things way out of proportion ("ser más papista que el Papa").

Monica
Monica Posted Wed 07 Jul, 2010 12:42 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Monica wrote:
Maradona: vete a chuparla :D

I missed this comment. Bodi, with all due respect, por qué no te callas? :oP

Maradona can say that but I can't? What a fair world this is!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 07 Jul, 2010 2:46 PM Quote

Sadly, it's not a fair world, but it's actually fine by me if you want to say that to Maradona, I just thought it was funny to reply with that remark. Es como que invertimos los roles, jajajaja.

dee
dee Posted Wed 07 Jul, 2010 10:09 PM Quote
well done Spain. First 20minutes of the 2nd half really turned it around for you. We now have two finalists who have never won a World Cup. Best of Luck to both

Dubz

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Thu 08 Jul, 2010 4:58 AM Quote
Hey, congrats to all of you who were supporting Spain today!
I thought Germany was the candidate, I was wrong. If Spain got this far, there's a reason so, best of lucks on Sunday!

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Thu 08 Jul, 2010 9:27 AM Quote
was quite a shit way to end my birthday last night =(

spain won well deserved though.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 08 Jul, 2010 2:50 PM Quote

Yes, Spain played their best game in the tournament and Germany its worst (well, againt Serbia they didn't play that well either), so it was well deserved. Congratulations Spain! I hope Spain play like they did yesterday in the final. It's much more entertaining and it will suck if Netherlands win the Cup in South Africa...

Monica
Monica Posted Fri 09 Jul, 2010 6:40 PM Quote
I wish it was Sunday... Waiting is killing me :p

Monica
Monica Posted Sun 11 Jul, 2010 6:27 PM Quote
Like Dexter says: tonight's the night! ¡Vamos España!

Pages Previous 1...10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:51 AM