Travis

Re: Travis Private Acoustic Concert in Mexico
mili
mili Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 7:43 AM Quote
jajaja exacto!! yo derramo bilis cada que pienso en eso, y apra acabarla de amolar, Travis hizo aparicion en mi sueño de anoche. :'(
Es lo que digo, casi nadie toma Coca Light, y por mas que he hecho el intento no he conseguido ni una tapa.
Bah! como odio a Coca en esots momentos, empezare a tomar Big Cola... (jaja de esa tienen en mi trabajo XD)
Pero bueno, acabo de comprar mis boletos, con promocion de banamex me salieron en 140 mas 35 de recargos. Estare hasta atras. Y como siempre no podre ir a acosarlos.
Algun dia se me dara la oportunidad? :(

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 8:21 AM Quote
Wtf happened?
I wrote this message on the T Board, and appears here supposely written by you. and what i suppossed to write on the T board, was actually your message haha, Mysteries of the board i think XD.

Best Gig Ever
mili
mili Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 9:42 AM Quote
Oh, this is funny! Gremlins again, LOL! I wish I could write Spanish like that (not to mention speak the language) :^)

Well, here's my original post:

I bet this has been dicussed here before, but…

I haven't seen Travis live, apparently they're pretty good :^)
Of those I've seen I've truly enjoyed Crowded House in Bradford (1992), Ian Dury and the Blockheads in London (1990, if I remember right), the Nits in Helsinki (5 times in almost 20 years, all of which were great) and Depeche Mode in Helsinki (2001 and 2006).

I've been to some pretty bad concerts, too, and some easily forgettable ones, but the list above must be my top tenish. Where I live there haven't been that many great gigs around. Also, I don't go as often as I used to. Morrissey is something I hope to add to my top ten this summer.

What was the best concert you've been to?

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 10:45 AM Quote
Mili!! Your Spanish is excellent :-P

um I have to say that Martin Fry (ABC) singing Look of Love in a gold lamé suit was surprisingly enjoyable and memorable.
Otherwise all the Travis gigs have been fantastic. I've also enjoyed Vanessa Paradis, Amy Macdonald. Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac was good too.
Disappointed with Elton John.
Who would you have loved to see but will never get a chance to now? For me, it's probably the Beatles and Serge Gainsbourg. (obviously not together!)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 11:31 AM Quote
Public Enemy @ The Barrowlands July '95 - Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age had just been released and I wasn't a fan of it (I much preffered their earlier stuff), However they were going to split to pursue solo careers, so I wanted to see them so I could "tick" them off the list. Even without Flavor Flav who had been arrested a couple of days before for waving a gun at his neighbour. We turned up at the gig worried that they were gonna do all the new material and instead they launched into a two hour "farewell" set including all the classics. Flavor Flav even turned up (in an oversize Kangol hat with eyeholes cut in it and a full lenghth puffa style tartan jacket) having being released the day before. Chuck D had also done his homework he mentioned that the Scots also knew what it was like to be oppressed in their own country by the English (the nation was still smarting from the Poll Tax, Thatcher era, etc.) An amazing night all around Bass How Low Can You Go, Death Row What A Brother Knows !!!

65 Days of Static The Button Factory 3rd Nov 2007 - An amazing gig the band were brilliant cost €15 I had seen them a few months earlier in the same venue (although it had been refitted and renamed originally it was The Temple Bar Muscic Centre) 2nd of May 2007 and they had suffered a catastrophic failure when their computer had crashed. The Butterfly Explosion had been the support that night they were brilliant (incidentally we went to see them a fortnight ago, Sh!te). But I had been impressed enough by 65Days to talk a mate into going with me to the gig in November, they were fucking amazing, tight, well organized, brilliant set we both agreed after the gig we'd seen something a wee bit special that night.

The Selecter, Whelans, 20th Oct 2001 - These are definately not 3 minute heroes, I have never in my life pogo'd, skanked and bounced around as much as I did that night a most excellent bouncy gig full of middle aged Ska-Heads being age 16 again for a night. Broke my shades and got my suit drowned in beer but was totally worth it.

The Dropick Murphy's, Temple Bar Music Centre, 3rd Mar 2004 - The day before I flew home to Scotland for a few days I decided to take in this gig, on the sole strength of hearing one track, Spicy McHaggis Jig. the lights went down their was a solo rendition of The Foggy Dew played over the PA as it faded out a lone piper took to the stage (I know most people hate bagpipes but they do stir something primal deep inside the Scots) then all of a sudden the rest of the band just kicked in, Brilliant!! another night of pogo-ing ensued Paddywhackery of the highest calibre but fucking good, there were stage divers (unseen at any other gig in Ireland at the time due to Health and Fucing Safety) and when they finished off with Spicy they got all the women in the audience to get on th stage with them just good pure nonsense.

Mogwai, The Academy, 22nd Mar 2009 - The 3rd night of three played in Dublin and in my opinion the best setlist (they play a different set each time), I could however be exaggerating however as I have wanted to see them for years and never got around to it but Dee has been listening to them constantly since the Gig (she had listened before and had quite liked them but I think she went more for me than herself) so maybe she saw something special in them too.

There have been others... The Pogues, Madness, The Pixies, The Wedding Present, Death in Vegas, The Orb, Cara Dillon, Cocteau Twins, Dick Gaughan, Stiff Little Fingers etc., etc. There are also others that have been sh!t (Butterfly Explosion as mentioned above for example) that I'd rather forget about. But the 5 above are the "Stand Outs" I remember being a wee bit above and beyond.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 11:37 AM Quote
deebee wrote:

Who would you have loved to see but will never get a chance to now?

John Martyn, Joe Strummer, Run DMC.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 12:00 PM Quote
deebee wrote:

Who would you have loved to see but will never get a chance to now?

the Smiths, Japan, early Bowie, Joy Division, the Beatles and inspired by my son's sudden interest in La Bamba (thanks Guitar Hero), it would've been interesting to see that Big Bobber/Richie Valens/Buddy Holly show some time before the plane crash

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 12:16 PM Quote
woah! Holy Spanish board gremlines batman!

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 8:41 PM Quote
What the...?

Travis Private Acoustic Concert in Mexico? xD!

LOL

Wooo!
l haven't seen Travis too =(

Oasis last year, the best one so far!

And l went to see The Smashing Pumpkins last year, on April.

Two great shows...

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 24 Mar, 2009 8:47 PM Quote

I saw Travis in Dublin Castle (that's the real Dublin Castle Lil' Grin) at some point, it was mediocre at best, It was part of the Heineken Green Energy Festival and as such I expected a more "hits" laden gig instead we were treated to the utter crap that is The Invisible Band. Turin Brakes were the support wonder what happened to them they were sh!t too

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Wed 25 Mar, 2009 8:52 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I saw Travis in Dublin Castle (that's the real Dublin Castle Lil' Grin) at some point, it was mediocre at best, It was part of the Heineken Green Energy Festival and as such I expected a more "hits" laden gig instead we were treated to the utter crap that is The Invisible Band. Turin Brakes were the support wonder what happened to them they were sh!t too

Dubz

I once saw Elvis Costello in London (1990's), fully expecting to hear some old classics, but he just bored us out of our minds. The support act, Sam Phillips, was good, though. A much more entertaining man on the piano was Elton John a couple of years ago in Hel. It was a company do (my main client took me with them), I wasn't looking forward to it, but to my surprise I sort of enjoyed it.

deebee
deebee Posted Wed 25 Mar, 2009 9:25 AM Quote
I was soooo disappointed with Elton John! I saw him years ago at the NEC in Birmingham and it was fully seated. It was only when he played I'm still standing that he told everybody to stand up. It got a bit better after that.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2012 10:07 PM Quote
Since this place is deid and I'm maudlin here's one of the best gigs I was ever at in it's entirerity. I wonder if she remembers it as much as me.

Auto Rock We are not that far from the cameraman's view, I still remember getting the taxi from Ballsbridge and the look of bewilderment on Grainne's face as we told her we were off to Mogwai, I also still have my incredibly cool Mogwai Hoodie.
Hunted by a Freak
[url=]Come On Die Young[/url] (a favourite of mine I thought they'd never play)
May Nothing but Happiness Come Through Your Door ironically
I Love You I'm Going to Blow Up Your School ahem
I'm Jim Morrison I'm Dead
Christmas Steps
Scotland's ShameAnother vid from the actual night
Friend of the Night
Killing All the Flies
[url=]Thank You Space Expert[/url]
[url=]We're No Here[/url]

I should still have the setlist somewhere, it sats Tele, Fend and Strat so I'm guessing it's Stuarts and he plays a Telecaster, Fender & Strtocaster during his sets for the Guitar Freaks out there..

DUBZ

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 8:09 AM