Travis

Re: Oscars 2009
Moray
Moray Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 1:27 PM Quote
It'd be nice if the Oscars were more diverse. They might as well be called 'The Serious Important Film Awards'.

I've a few friends who take them as gospel, and who who is still trying to convince me that 'Crash' is a worthwhile and important film, citing it's Oscar to prove their argument. No it isn't, it's terrible!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 2:14 PM Quote
Is that the one with Matt Dillon as the dodgy cop and the shopkeeper who shoots a kid or something. If it is I thought it was sh!t too. I thought it overplayed the racism card and tried to be to clever for it's own good. Some films about life are quite good but I thought that Crash was overacted and pretentious, and like yourself I have a few mates who swear it's one of the greatest films ever (they probably read that in the Irish Times/Guardian)

Dubz

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 2:15 PM Quote
I wish. That doesn't seem possible at all though. Not only Oscars I mean. All other indie-spirited awards too. As long as the "awards" platforms are being used as advertising scene for companies, it won't stop making zero sense. The global system requires it.

I am ok with Crash (certainly not on the best picture basis!!). Just still can't see how on earth Million Dollar Baby can be referred to be he best film of that year. My ass... But then again, it is onyl a one night show. So it is supposed to be taken.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 2:41 PM Quote
champagnesupernova wrote:

I am ok with Crash (certainly not on the best picture basis!!). Just still can't see how on earth Million Dollar Baby can be referred to be he best film of that year. My ass... But then again, it is onyl a one night show. So it is supposed to be taken.

Yeah I was pretty shocked. I was pulling for The Aviator. I thought it was better all around (acting, production...)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 2:50 PM Quote
I thought Million Dollar Baby was pretty good a bit predictable but good however not amazing or anything. I hated The Aviator but that was probably just because of Leonardo Di Crapio I may try watching it again. My faves from that year would be... Hotel Rwanda, Team America-World Police, Sideways, Touching the Void or The Incredibles

I think the Oscars are more of a popularity contest I mean seriously Sean Connery nominated for In the Name of the Rose, this is the same guy who's been in much better, more challenging films.

Dubz

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 1:20 AM Quote
Who wants to live blog???

First I have to get this off my chest. I kind of hate the whole Brangelina thing. I like Brad Pitt, I like Angelina Jolie, but people lose their minds when they come on the screen.

I can't stand Ryan Seacrest... who can?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 1:40 AM Quote
Okay Lauren. As per your request, I am here to live blog. I should start off by saying that I'm not sure ive seen any of the nominated movies (save in Heath for Batman) so my choices are going to be purely bias based on who I like

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 1:42 AM Quote
Haha...

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 1:45 AM Quote
So new format? It's kind of weird... but different

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 1:50 AM Quote
Im not sure how I feel about the speeches to introduce the nominees either. It's kinda cool but takes forever. I hope they only do it for the major categories. Surely we don't have to sit through that for the best cinamatography, do we?

Penelope Cruz. Meh, Im neutral.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 1:51 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Penelope Cruz. Meh, Im neutral.

I've always loved her, and I thought it was going to be her or Viola Davis. That was a really really great speech though. Not too gushy, just right (take note Kate Winslet!).

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 1:54 AM Quote
TINA FEY!!!!!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 1:57 AM Quote
Tina Fey's dress is gorg.

Oh no, you don't like Kate Winslet? We might have an issue, Lauren!

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 2:03 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Tina Fey's dress is gorg.

Oh no, you don't like Kate Winslet? We might have an issue, Lauren!

I never said that. She's just been too gushy in her speeches. I love Kate Winslet. She's my girl crush.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 23 Feb, 2009 2:04 AM Quote
okay, fair enough.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times UTC Current Time 6:06 AM