Travis

Oscars 2009
champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Sun 08 Feb, 2009 2:09 AM Quote
Drum roll please...

Here is the nominees:

http://www.oscar.com/nominees/?pn=nominees

So, what's your pick? Seems to be the toughest selection in years. Good to see Brad Pitt's talent is finally appreciated by some jury people regardless his looks.

Re: Oscars 2009
alanistradi
alanistradi Posted Sun 08 Feb, 2009 2:40 AM Quote
champagnesupernova wrote:
Drum roll please...

Here is the nominees:

http://www.oscar.com/nominees/?pn=nominees

So, what's your pick? Seems to be the toughest selection in years. Good to see Brad Pitt's talent is finally appreciated by some jury people regardless his looks.

I didn't see all the nominees yet, even when I'll have finished to see all (just then will be appropriate to talk about my favorites) I think I couldn't do a choosing. Certainly this time is the toughest selection in years.

One thing I can say: After 13 nominations (I'm not sure, I think that's the correct number) the possibility that Meryl Streep wins this award is high. And about Brad Pitt, I can't remember if has been nominated in the past, but has deserved this one.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sun 08 Feb, 2009 1:07 PM Quote
Oh no, I've seen barely any of the movies in any of the catagories! And none of the best picture nominees, usually I've seen at least three of them!

One thing I am sure of is that I want Kate Winslet to win, I think she's brilliant, it's about time she got one.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sun 08 Feb, 2009 2:00 PM Quote
I'm a student. I don't 'do' movies that aren't shown for free at uni... I always feel ripped off by blockbusters any way, they all promise so much and deliver so little.

There's my rant over.

Monica
Monica Posted Sun 08 Feb, 2009 7:00 PM Quote
Cate Blanchett should be nominated. Boo :(

isma
isma Posted Sun 08 Feb, 2009 8:02 PM Quote
Oh I'm so glad for Melissa Leo !! She's just amazing in Frozen River !

elfist
elfist Posted Sun 08 Feb, 2009 10:49 PM Quote
You are such a nerd. Who else would start a thread entitled Oscars otherwise? = ) I haven't seen all the nominees yet. But surely you will make me see as soon as possible. Not that I am complaining. = ) I saw Benjamin Button three days ago. I think it is very good. And before you ask, Slumdog Millionaire is on my agenda for this week. Everyone tells this is a great one. So maybe I will not even wait for the festival and get a pirate copy. Come on. Hang me. Nerd.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Mon 09 Feb, 2009 4:10 AM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
Oh no, I've seen barely any of the movies in any of the catagories! And none of the best picture nominees, usually I've seen at least three of them!

One thing I am sure of is that I want Kate Winslet to win, I think she's brilliant, it's about time she got one.
I agree with you. I really hope Kate Winslet wins this year. She is one of my favorite actresses and I think she deserves it.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 9:58 AM Quote
kiwi wrote:
I'm a student. I don't 'do' movies that aren't shown for free at uni... I always feel ripped off by blockbusters any way, they all promise so much and deliver so little.

There's my rant over.

Two words. Slumdog.Millionaire.

:-P

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 10:04 AM Quote
I have nearly seen all of the nominees. Just the shorts and stuff left. I don't even know why I bother. It is just fun. :-P

Kate Winslet is a great actress and so is Maryl Streep but I really don't think they deserve the award this year. Well it is mostly gone to the ones who don't deserve it anyway. That is the dark side of Oscars.

Isma, I saw Frozen River last night and yeah her performance was impressive. On the other hand I really like Angelina Jolie's work in Changeling although I still hope Clint Eastwood doesn't get any credits. :-PPP Not again please!

Anyone seen The Visitor? Richard Jenkins! Thumbs up! Best actor and best director selections are so tough this year. Best picture, should be Slumdog I suppose. It is like a ceremony to Danny Boyle's shiny background before he met Leo boy. tee hee

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 10:05 AM Quote
elfist wrote:
You are such a nerd. Who else would start a thread entitled Oscars otherwise? = ) I haven't seen all the nominees yet. But surely you will make me see as soon as possible. Not that I am complaining. = ) I saw Benjamin Button three days ago. I think it is very good. And before you ask, Slumdog Millionaire is on my agenda for this week. Everyone tells this is a great one. So maybe I will not even wait for the festival and get a pirate copy. Come on. Hang me. Nerd.

F_ck you.

Aída
Aída Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:20 AM Quote

Moray
Moray Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:46 AM Quote
I never understand when some films are included in both the best picture and best director category. I don't see how they're mutually exclusive.

No problems with Milk or Frost / Nixon being nominated for best film, both fine choices. But what merits their director being selected for an award? Other than overseeing the correct period costumes for authenticity, there has to be precious little challenging work their for a director? It's very much by the numbers stuff - the stories are so vibrant, and the actors so good they pretty much tell themselves.

At least Benjamin Button had some interesting direction, and has been put together very well.

I'd have thought Christopher Nolan deserved a nod for the epic scale in which he put together a look and a feel of Gotham City. Ok, it's popcorn entertainment that can be considered throwawy, and doesn't have the same gravitas of Milk or Frost / Nixon, but The Dark Knight must have been a far more technically challenging and difficult shoot than either of those two films. And Nolan really pushed the boundaries in certain areas and tested his craft, whilst keeping CGI as minimal as possible.

Just my two cents.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:42 PM Quote
I'll give a nod to Moray, I thought the darkness of Gotham City was captured extremely well, a lot of people of my generation are used to the camp '60s version of Batman and even the Tim Burton remake which was really dark at the time, has suffered the test of time. The comics are extremely dark and I think The Dark Knight has been the best at capturing the atmosphere... so far

Dubz

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 20 Feb, 2009 1:18 PM Quote
I hear you guys. I sorta agree. Oscars are only kinda showbiz to me. Fun to watch and discuss with mates. That is all. If we are getting deep to discuss talents here then we are on the wrong track I think.

Nolan is one of the bestest directors among a few contemporary names today. He surely deserves "awards". But you know, David Fincher is only being just noticed by some "authorities" with Benjamin Button. It doesn't mean he was a bad director before. I mean, the guy made Fight Club. Effin classic already!! Noone even cared from that "respectful" jury people at the time. Similarly, Nolan is being ignored for the time being but later on his star is gonna shine in a way. I don't judge him not being in the nominees. I don't even care. But of course it would be a much more exciting show if he was to compete with Fincher, Boyle and Gus Van Sant. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a Socrsese type of guy one day. I mean leaving to work for quality and running after Oscars desperately. You know what I mean?

About the difference between best picture and best director. Can't really tell. Director award is more of a personal thing goes to the efforts of the director where the picture thing is maybe more commercial and totally related to producers.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:46 AM