Travis

Re: Obama: why I'm already fed up with him.
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 7:21 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

Gee ok last post to this :): love to have a marathon like this here - but we're doing one nex week here. Did u see the last new episode (came out on monday)...forman and 13 r together? wt a crap...anyways :)

Oh, "Foreteen?" BLECK. I hate Thirteen. they need to speed up her Huntington's so she can die already. I have never hated a character so much. Probably because she gets so much screen time. When they kissed it was like watching him make out with a tree stump.

On the Obama front, one man can't solve all of the problems that this country is in, but after what this country has been through, it's understandable that people want to turn to someone that they can put their hopes for a better future in. So far, I'm glad that he's closing Guantanamo. I'm glad that he's made a point of getting involved in your community and helping one another by volunteering. I can't really make any complaints about that.

Like Hannah (Kiwi) said he is still a politician. I was disappointed when he switched to big name donor money for the presidential campaign.

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:32 PM Quote
Okay... Didn't exactly expect this to be a popular point of view. I'll just clarifiy my comments.

I think Obama does seem like a pretty decent bloke and I certainly think he was the best candidate by far and I wish him all the best.

However, optimism on this scale is the quickest way of shooting yourself in the foot; he can't walk on water, so don't push him off the bloody ship.

The blood on the snow part I heard while I was in the pub... Enough said. However, I do think it was a bit tactless to mention the revolution. An unfortunate by-product of nationalism (and no one can dispute that it had a fair amount of nationalism in it) is that all countries (not least the U.K.) tend to affirm their national values in opposition to other nations. Until we learn to shut up about our past enemies, none of us will really be competent enough to lay out effective peace processes.

The U.S.A. are in the same situatio as Britain was towards the end of its Empire; no amount of repenting can really save your reputation on the world scale. God knows Britain's name is still mud in a lot of countries, not least Israel/Palestine & India/Pakistan.

To sum up: yes, he probably is a decent bloke and yes, I wish him all the best. But until the media learn to shut the fuck about with their unconditionally praise, the poor sod won't stand a chance.

There was another messiah. He came to save his fellows. He brought hope. He was loved by the public... His name was Tony Blair.

Any more questions?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:19 PM Quote

I remember the hysteria surround Blair and look what happened.

The World Economy is fucked (not just America), and unlike Ireland where Bertie (I didn't take the money) Ahern fecked off just in time before it collapsed and left "Biffo" Cowen to take all the flack. If it worsens in the States the Barrackwagon will just blame the previous president Dubya.

I know he's not gonna change everything over night and I do wish him all the best and hope that he procves to be something other than just another politician.

...but seriously "The Best President America Has Ever Elected" ?? He's been in office one fucking day for fuck's sake. talk about setting someone up for a fall.

gives me an excuse to post this...Build It Up, Tear It Down

Dubz

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:26 PM Quote
My thoughts exactly, Dubz. My thoughts exactly.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:35 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
However, I do think it was a bit tactless to mention the revolution.

It is tactless for the President of the United States of America to mention the American Revolution during his inauguration, without which revolution, we would have no office entitled President of the United States? Really?

I think it is completely relevant. I see nothing wrong with finding courage from the words of our first President, being that we are at war again and spirits are low for other reasons as well ("the depth of our winter").

That can hardly be mistaken for a jab at England.

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:37 PM Quote
You're getting a bit too hung up on that particular part of what I said, missing the point.

And besides, similarly, there'd be no U.S. if Britain hadn't invested all that cash in developping a fex colonies all those years ago. It would just be a land where the people who actually started out there still ran the place.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:41 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
You're getting a bit too hung up on that particular part of what I said, missing the point.

Apparently. But you've mentioned it twice, so I just assumed that was your point.

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:45 PM Quote
Understandably, but I mentioned it the second time to moderate the first comment. ;)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 1:51 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Joe wrote:
However, I do think it was a bit tactless to mention the revolution.

It is tactless for the President of the United States of America to mention the American Revolution during his inauguration, without which revolution, we would have no office entitled President of the United States? Really?

I think it is completely relevant. I see nothing wrong with finding courage from the words of our first President, being that we are at war again and spirits are low for other reasons as well ("the depth of our winter").

That can hardly be mistaken for a jab at England.

Exactly! Kayte, very well said.

Joe, you mentioned that part of the speech a second time in reference to the comments made about it, yes, but you then went on to call it "tactless." So I think we have a right to make a point and offer our opinion as well...that it's NOT tactless and perfectly relevant. There would be no USA without the Revolutionary War for God sakes. It WASN'T a jab at the UK.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 3:45 AM Quote
Just a quick question...

This revoloution/war of independance, were the native Americans asked for their thoughts on it ??

and also did Mr.Obama mention them in his speech ??

Dubz

an Aboriginal was once asked what he thought about the squabbling of land ownership in Australia, his reply... "It's like two fleas arguing over who owns the Dog that they live on", I know it's not that simple but it's a start.??

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 3:58 AM Quote
My eyes cannot roll back further in my head

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 4:15 AM Quote

I would have thought that the fact I started the thread with Just One Question and ended it with question marks would have given enough indication that this is a query and not a point/opinion.

DID THE NATIVE AMERICAN INDIANS HAVE ANY INPUT DURING THE REVOLOUTION ??????????

Dubz

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 8:54 AM Quote
Yeah... I never said you didn't have a right to an opinion. Feel free to be proud of being American.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 12:28 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I would have thought that the fact I started the thread with Just One Question and ended it with question marks would have given enough indication that this is a query and not a point/opinion.

DID THE NATIVE AMERICAN INDIANS HAVE ANY INPUT DURING THE REVOLOUTION ??????????

Dubz

Good one mate! Don't think any native would matter for 'revolution' until they got big shares in the stock market or 'combustible liquid' down under their land . That's what 21st century revolution is all about, right?

kiwi
kiwi Posted Thu 22 Jan, 2009 4:55 PM Quote
champagnesupernova wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

Good one mate! Don't think any native would matter for 'revolution' until they got big shares in the stock market or 'combustible liquid' down under their land . That's what 21st century revolution is all about, right?

True true Merih...

I doubt they would have done, because it wasn't their fight... like the aborigines, no one cared what they thought because it wasn't seen to be their land so why would anyone even ask or listen. That and most non European cultures have/had different attitudes towards land ownership anyway.

From what I've read about the American Revolution, the link with the current climate is a bit tenuous... I don't know, maybe that's just a cultural thing.... or a really general metaphor.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times UTC Current Time 8:58 AM