Travis

Re: SONG TO SELF
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 03 Dec, 2008 5:37 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
wasn't this version already released? Isn't that the one that's 3.56 minutes long? Starting with: "I have no direction, tonight is no..." The one on the album is 3.46 minutes long...or did u guys released yet another one?

No, that doesn't have a second verse, it launches straight into the middle 8 after the first chorus. I think this version should be more balanced.

Fran
Fran Posted Wed 03 Dec, 2008 6:29 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I was just thinking, isn't this only on vinyl? I hope we get a good recording of this as mp3 because i'm going to love this version!!! In my little opinion, this is the version the song should always have been, even if it is nearly 5 minutes long or whatever. A great song suddenly becomes a really great song. :)

I slightly agree but there is so much fevered conversation before a release sometimes things happen and then you think WHAAA change it but it's too late. In this case the feling was we couldn't put the massively long version to radio because it was too long but also we didnt want to put a completely different version on the album... however this last point was the one I went WHAAA but by then it was too late and the printing presses were running and when they start rolling you cant stop them.
So anyways it will come out... you'll be able to download this version also.

alanistradi
alanistradi Posted Wed 03 Dec, 2008 7:03 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
[...]In this case the feling was we couldn't put the massively long version to radio because it was too long

When it's about a really great song (like song to self) doesn't matter if takes 5 or 7 minutes... Damn f*cking radios! hahaha

Fran wrote:

I've alredy did my LP order... now the long long wait

Thanks Mr Healy...

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 03 Dec, 2008 7:07 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
I was just thinking, isn't this only on vinyl? I hope we get a good recording of this as mp3 because i'm going to love this version!!! In my little opinion, this is the version the song should always have been, even if it is nearly 5 minutes long or whatever. A great song suddenly becomes a really great song. :)

I slightly agree but there is so much fevered conversation before a release sometimes things happen and then you think WHAAA change it but it's too late. In this case the feling was we couldn't put the massively long version to radio because it was too long but also we didnt want to put a completely different version on the album... however this last point was the one I went WHAAA but by then it was too late and the printing presses were running and when they start rolling you cant stop them.

Thanks for letting us know Fran. If anyone asks, it was completely deliberate, right? - "yeah, we planned that all along, we wanted to give our fans a treat when the single came out" ;)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 03 Dec, 2008 8:22 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

:) Thanks Fran. I totally understand, especially with radio play with the long version. I love the middle 8 section and to hear it like this is going to be brilliant! When i make a compilation CD it can take ages to decide on the songs. I imagine when it's an album of your own music, it must be very, very difficult to decide what songs, what versions, what order etc to use. :) Very pleased that it'll be downloadable too. :)

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Wed 03 Dec, 2008 9:14 PM Quote
5 minutes, i dont think that is a good idea. Sonf to Self is lovely but i dont think needs almost 8 minutes to be better.
I order my vinyl too, and in Germany/Austria has Song to Self CD single, then people can order it, the problem is that i dont found an online shop where song to self is available

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 03 Dec, 2008 11:32 PM Quote
RaZzZ wrote:
5 minutes, i dont think that is a good idea. Sonf to Self is lovely but i dont think needs almost 8 minutes to be better.

What's this 8 minutes thing you mention? It isn't going to be 8 minutes long. I guess it'll be just under 5 minutes. :) I think 5 minute songs are fine as long as they aren't repetitive. This version of Song To Self has only the middle 8 and an extra chorus added to the album version. It's going to be super!!! :)

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:32 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
RaZzZ wrote:

What's this 8 minutes thing you mention? It isn't going to be 8 minutes long. I guess it'll be just under 5 minutes. :) I think 5 minute songs are fine as long as they aren't repetitive. This version of Song To Self has only the middle 8 and an extra chorus added to the album version. It's going to be super!!! :)

I am not saying that song to self is 8minutes long, i did mention of this:

alanistradi wrote:
Fran wrote:
[...]In this case the feling was we couldn't put the massively long version to radio because it was too long

When it's about a really great song (like song to self) doesn't matter if takes 5 or 7 minutes... Damn f*cking radios! hahaha

She said it doesnt matter if takes 5, 7 or almost 8 minutes, but then i said i dont like a bigger version. Song to Self is fine now and game over xD

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:36 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
RaZzZ wrote:

I am not saying that song to self is 8minutes long, i did mention of this:

[quote="alanistradi"] [quo

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 3:25 AM