Travis

Re: TV Recommendations
Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 06 Feb, 2012 10:40 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

You aren't an overly pleasant person, are you?

deleted

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 06 Feb, 2012 11:49 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

In Downtrodden Abbey's case might the term "Cult" Following be a massive typo... "L" is dangerously close to "N"... ??

Dubz

Are you seriously on a verge of calling a group of people the most offensive word in modern English for liking a tv show? Are you 13, Dubz? Are you?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 07 Feb, 2012 5:58 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

In Downtrodden Abbey's case might the term "Cult" Following be a massive typo... "L" is dangerously close to "N"... ??

Dubz

Are you seriously on a verge of calling a group of people the most offensive word in modern English for liking a tv show? Are you 13, Dubz? Are you?

No, I'm making a joke about how close the word cult is to the "offensive" one. I lifted it from a cartoon on the back page of the NME many years ago.

Lighten up. Why do you feel the need to take my rants so personally? I am very fond of everyone (well most people) on here. Just because I'm ranting about Downtrodden Abbey or Beyonce doesn't mean I'm ranting at you because you happen to like them, I'm ranting at the things themselves not the fact that anyone chooses to like them. Is it because if you like them, then my ranting must ergo be a comment upon your taste and therefore a comment on yourself. Because I can assure you that is not the case. We are all different on here, that's what I think anyway, makes it so interesting at times.

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 07 Feb, 2012 6:01 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Sunny wrote:
minnmess wrote:

err, when a show/movie/etc has a "cult following" it means it has a tiny but dedicated audience. Pretty sure Downton Abbey has pretty big ratings! Given that people of 3 or 4 countries are talking about it on here...that would back that up. And doesnt it have massive ratings in the UK?

I dug out my Rough Guide to Cult TV book, which was hiding in the fourth box of books I dug out from the loft.

Programmes with a cult following include The Avengers, The Simpsons, Sex and the City, Monty Python etc ...

Apparently, "there is no scientific formula for deciding whether a TV programme is cult or not."

It acknowledges that you could pour over the dictionary definitions, but they say:
"deciding whether a programme is cult or not is [a] personal decision ..."
which is nice :-)

You aren't an overly pleasant person, are you?

I cannot see how the above comment makes someone pleasant or unpleasant. I can however see that your reply could be taken as an unpleasant. Which really isn't like you.

Dubz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 07 Feb, 2012 1:54 PM Quote
They've only aired one episode but I have high hopes for Smash. For those who hate Glee and are scared by the comparisons, rest assured it's only like Glee in that sometimes they sing. Tone and setting, so completely different.

The songs are original and the ones on the pilot were good, not great. But the characters are interesting and I really like the premise.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 23 Apr, 2012 9:00 PM Quote

TV Channel recommendation - Challenge. Old Bully, Blockbusters, Big Break, Pointless, Crystal Maze ... bliss!

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Mon 23 Apr, 2012 10:19 PM Quote
I'm almost through Season 2 of Breaking Bad. I highly recommend it!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 27 Apr, 2012 5:47 PM Quote
hennypenny wrote:

I watched the pilot but wasn't really into it. I only hear good things about it but is it gloomy all the time? I really wanted to like it as Aaron Paul was one of my favourite things about Big Love (which I recommend, btw).

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Sat 28 Apr, 2012 1:49 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
hennypenny wrote:

I watched the pilot but wasn't really into it. I only hear good things about it but is it gloomy all the time? I really wanted to like it as Aaron Paul was one of my favourite things about Big Love (which I recommend, btw).

I wouldn't say its gloomy all the time, but there are definitely moments where I was like, "whoa! I was not expecting that". The more you watch it, the more addicting it becomes. I also agree with you about Big Love. I'm just about to start Season 4.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 28 Apr, 2012 4:17 PM Quote
I think I might watch a couple more episodes then :) Right now I'm catching up on Mad Men!

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Sat 28 Apr, 2012 10:16 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
I think I might watch a couple more episodes then :) Right now I'm catching up on Mad Men!

Aaron Paul won an Emmy award for season 2 or 3. I liked him alot in Big Love too. I want to put him in my pocket :P

Joanna
Joanna Posted Thu 24 May, 2012 12:01 AM Quote

anyone seen the new version of blockbusters? not that keen, prefer the old version imo.
why do they wait until people have died to bring back prgrammes - bob holness, jimmy savile - seems kinda crass.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 26 May, 2012 2:28 PM Quote
The Gypsy Wedding shows are a trainwreck I can't stop watching. If I stumble upon it, it's over. My heart wept over the girl who, at 17, changed her mind and instead of becoming an oncologist she was marrying into the Gypsy world (she wasn't raised that way) and was so excited to stay in their camper and cook and clean for her man.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2012 6:47 AM Quote
Anybody else watch Grimm?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2012 2:50 PM Quote
Don't actually watch much TV these days, there's bugger all on. I'll watch Big Bang Theory (sometimes but seen most of them), Auction Kings (unusual stuff on it), I only watch these things because they happen to be on when I turn the telly on. However there is nothing on TV that I would go out of my way to watch.

Thank God the Euros start on Friday !!

Dubz

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:52 AM