Travis

Re: TV Recommendations
Kristy
Kristy Posted Sun 30 Nov, 2008 12:34 PM Quote
TK23 wrote:

Oh, Band of Brothers- I'm a huge fan. Absolutely stunning, isn't it? For me, there are few movies (miniseries, etc.) that can even come close to topping it. Everything about it was so well-executed- from the acting, to the cinematography, to the theme song (it's on my iPod : P )- I can watch it again and again. One of my favorite parts was 'Bastogne'- part six. Eugene 'Doc' Roe, played by Shane Taylor, has to be one of my favorite characters.

I loved Bastogne too, in fact I didn't move for a whole hour while watching it and that's not normal - I have the attention span of a flea!
The cinematography is amazing, although it's not as graphic as I thought it would be (and why aren't they covered in scratches etc all the time? Most of 'em are too 'clean')
There's some dodgy American accents from the Brits though!

TK23
TK23 Posted Sun 30 Nov, 2008 4:22 PM Quote
Haha, yeah- I know what you mean. Maybe they were very careful soldiers??? : P

I thought the accents were all pretty good- especially Doc's. For being from England, I think he did a great job with the Cajun accent.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 10:05 AM Quote

I watched a bit of Band of Brothers the other night, it seems quite good but I'll need to watch it from the start.

the only things I'm going out of my way to watch at the moment are...

Top Gear
Have I Got News For You
The Panel (Irish Show on RTE)

but I must say I havent been impressed with the curent series of any of these shows.

Dubz
(In the Kingdom of the Blind it's said the One Eyed Man is King and in the Kingdom of the Bland it's 9 o'Clock on ITV. HMHB)

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 10:33 AM Quote
Harry Hills TV Burp! Unmissable!

Peewee
Peewee Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 6:18 PM Quote
There's NOTHING on TV that I am bothered by right now! :( I am so bored with the tv these days that I have stopped looking for something decent to watch.

Dubz, a new series (well three part show) started last night on BBC 1. It's called Wallander and is based on the Swedish character Kurt Wallander in Henning Mankell's books. You might be interested...it's like a more intellectual detective show. I didn't get to see it but it should be repeated at some point.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 6:32 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:

Dubz, a new series (well three part show) started last night on BBC 1. It's called Wallander and is based on the Swedish character Kurt Wallander in Henning Mankell's books.

Haha really? But it's not a swedish production?

Peewee
Peewee Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 7:29 PM Quote
Nope it's by the BBC. It's supposed to be beautiful to watch...I wanna see some Sweden! lol

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 01 Dec, 2008 7:35 PM Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhxqdIS_KI4

A clip from a Swedish Wallander movie!

Kristy
Kristy Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 2:23 PM Quote
TK23 wrote:

I thought the accents were all pretty good- especially Doc's. For being from England, I think he did a great job with the Cajun accent.

After some though I reckon that what I really meant was that I could tell who was British; and not that the accent was necessarily bad. I only knew a few were British before I started watching but I could pick out other British actors by their 'American' accent.

The book is on my Christmas list :)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 2:29 PM Quote

The Wire is on tonight, it's supposed to be very good but I haven't seen it from the start so I'm not too sure.

I also quite like Boston Legal but it's always on at fucking 3am or some other ungodly hour.

Dubz

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Thu 04 Dec, 2008 10:04 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I also quite like Boston Legal but it's always on at fucking 3am or some other ungodly hour.

Dubz

I have the same problem, Boston Legal, Smallville, Medium, all on too late, typical rte.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 12:38 AM Quote
Gorky Park starting on RTE 1 in about 15 mins, a good ol' fashioned thriller with some quality acting from William Hurt and Ian Bannen.

Dubz

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 1:19 PM Quote
I have just reread through this. I was recommending Wallender the BBC series and guess what - there are re-runs AGAIN this week.

This time Alex I am watching the Swedish version haha :)

I am waiting for Series 2 of Dollhouse to come on (Eliza Dushku kicks ass).

Also I see that the UK are finally getting Glee sometime soon (to be shown on E4).

I want more House, Lie to Me and Flash Forward.

mili
mili Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 2:09 PM Quote
Is Flash Forward any good? It's starting here tomorrow, but clashes with my daughter's favourite, Mentalist. Also, for which age group would you recommend it (FF)?

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 05 Jan, 2010 4:35 PM Quote
I really enjoyed it to start with but then it started to slow down a bit and drag (imho) but I haven't missed an episode so I do want to see what is going to happen. It's all very full on to start and gripping, now I just want answers but that could be my impatience.

It's a good show though and they have spent ALOT of money on this tv series. The graphics in the first episodes are up there with a block buster movie.

Age wise - oh not sure, maybe some of the American moms could recommend (Anne, Kayte?) I'd say it's fine for 12+

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:09 PM