Travis

Re: Recording of Ode
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 1:48 PM Quote
Here's an interesting article about releasing Boy and creating Ode:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/11042008/entertainment/music/if_its_travis__its_scot_to_be_good_136806.htm

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 1:57 PM Quote
Thanks James. Interesting. :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 4:07 PM Quote
I really think some of you need to cool down and let everyone have their own music experience...

Peace, love and understanding you know!

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Sat 22 Nov, 2008 4:29 PM Quote
cool. of course. everyone should have there own opinion. and that was mine..

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 9:47 AM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Just wondering what peoples opinions are about Travis' choice to use the 16 track 'Beatlesy' machine to record Ode - how do you feel this method of recording contributed to the album? Do you think Travis should record more albums like this in the future? Or do you think it should only be a one-off, or even that they should never have recorded this way in the first place?

I'm just curious to know 'cos, even though I love the fact that Travis chose to experiment by recording in this way, I'm not sure whether I like the finished effect. I just feel that the songs sound more distant and two-dimensional... not as immersive as previous albums. I think if you blast it out on a hi-fi then its brilliant, the whole rough-around-the-edges sound adds to the vibe. But the way I usually listen to albums is on my ipod; I like the intimacy, if that's the right word. And I really love some of the Ode songs, which just makes this certain missing clarity all the more frustrating.

Having said all this, Abbey Road is one of my favourite albums of all time - I don't consider that to sound the slightest bit two-dimensional - but that was no doubt recorded in the same way. So maybe its something else, I dunno. Anyway, perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this, but I just thought I'd throw my thought out there.

To answer your question, yes! I loved that they went this route and should do it again if they want to. It was a good time for them to try another approach, and this ended up affecting the writing too, which of course keeps it fresh for them.
You know, Abbey Road was recorded on an 8-track (and all their previous records were done using just a 4-track), which The Beatles pressed to get an upgrade for lol. All those albums have stood the test of time and that speaks volumes. I really love Ode. They've done a fantastic job, using the monitor mixes to get a rougher sound. Last Words particularly is phenomenal.
This record to me is their way of showing how they are live on an album (but it not being a live album). If someone hasn't been to one of their gigs, then they'd only think TMW. But this shows otherwise.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 9:53 AM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:

I think the recording method really suits Ode to J. Smith. For example listen to the bass on 'Friends' its awesome .

I think the bass on Friends is similar to The Doors' Light My Fire. Good song to be inspired by. :)

Btw thanks James for the link. Interestingly I compare the sound of Ode to 12M, not Good Feeling. Does anyone else?

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 10:41 AM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
Interestingly I compare the sound of Ode to 12M, not Good Feeling. Does anyone else?

I think there's songs which sound like 12 Memories (predominantly Broken Mirror, Chinese Blues) and songs which sound like GF (Long Way Down); it's generally in between IMO.

I've realised that I love the second half of Ode (from Last Words) - production, recording and all - but the first half I don't find as 'cohesive' song-wise.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 3:04 PM Quote
[quote="

I've realised that I love the second half of Ode (from Last Words) - production, recording and all - but the first half I don't find as 'cohesive' song-wise. [/quote]

Hmm James.... you are getting too obsessed with your Ode.This is not a pre view consultation The album is made , the set chosen ! By contrast I know some say the first half is rockin great and if I had to guess I would say it was meant to be and intended ( rather than have intermittent changes of type )I doubt that this comment is of any use or appreciated. (especially the infamous word 'cohesive')

Notice how the album introduces the slower songs/tones , which co-incides with what is your musical taste /favs.

Don't forget how much thought has gone in to this set, its how the band want it to be heard for maximum effect and ambience .

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 4:24 PM Quote
James is just giving his opinion. I understand what he means. Though I'd say the album really takes off from Broken Mirror onwards. Chinese Blues happens to be my 2nd fave on the album though.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 4:51 PM Quote
Thanks Ben :) All I was meaning was that to my ears there aren't any recording problems after Last Words, which was a badly worded compliment. So in a hugely round-about answer to Luke's original question, yes, there's a few recording/production/[insert other unknown process here] niggles, especially in the first few songs, but Ode is a great acheivement.

Phew! It took long enough for me to realise that!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 5:30 PM Quote
Second half of the album is my favourite too, except from Get Up which I always skip ;) The tracks on the second half are the kind of songs that grows on ME until I become one with the music. That's the kind of songs I love from Travis. Chinese Blues, J. Smith, Something Anything and Long Way Down are PERFECT rock-songs, that blows you away on the first listen and makes your feet tap to the beat. But I prefer the deeper part, the grandiose "sound-landscapes", poetical lyrics, the fragility of Frans voice.
Travis can do nothing wrong, but everyone have different taste and opinions about everything ;)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 6:10 PM Quote
I can definitely notice a difference between the first and second half of the album. I like bits from both halves though... I like the J. Smith, Something Anything and Long Way Down trio, and then Last Words and Quite Free. They're my favourite five i think. Oh and Friends as well. So, six. :P

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 7:26 PM Quote
Sounds like those of you who love the second half have been mesmerised by that boom before Broken Mirror lol. Comments on that boom/sound effect and its placement before that and BYWY?
But I don't understand why people don't like Get Up. It my favourite on the record. What about it makes some of you dislike it so much? It's a fantastic rocker (guess I'm rooting for the underdog again).

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 7:40 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Second half of the album is my favourite too, except from Get Up which I always skip ;) The tracks on the second half are the kind of songs that grows on ME until I become one with the music. That's the kind of songs I love from Travis. Chinese Blues, J. Smith, Something Anything and Long Way Down are PERFECT rock-songs, that blows you away on the first listen and makes your feet tap to the beat. But I prefer the deeper part, the grandiose "sound-landscapes", poetical lyrics, the fragility of Frans voice.
Travis can do nothing wrong, but everyone have different taste and opinions about everything ;)

I totally agree with that. I totally understand what you mean and I think the same. I would put Chinese Blues in that too because I think it's musically very interesting and epic too. Like those songs in the second half. Except, like you say, Get Up. It's the one I sometimes skip too. I don't want to go on about it because I've said quite a few times why I'm not so keen. It's repetitive, it sounds flat, it's a bit bland. It doesn't excite me at all unlike most of the others. :)

Like you say, Travis are brilliant and it's cool for all us fans to have a difference of opinion. :) Though of course I like to see comments bigging up Quite Free, I know not everyone thinks the same. :)

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 23 Nov, 2008 7:41 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
I can definitely notice a difference between the first and second half of the album. I like bits from both halves though... I like the J. Smith, Something Anything and Long Way Down trio, and then Last Words and Quite Free. They're my favourite five i think. Oh and Friends as well. So, six. :P

Oh, I love Chinese Blues and J. Smith and love the chorus in Something Anything, but I just feel that it doesn't work as well as a half-album. But it's a minor thing.

Oh bugger, I was meant to leave this thread *zips mouth tightly shut*

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:24 PM