Travis

Re: What's your name?
alexandria_z
alexandria_z Posted Wed 12 Nov, 2008 2:59 AM Quote
My name is Alexandria as you can see and it means Defender of Mankind.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Wed 12 Nov, 2008 3:13 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Aloysius McGlumphurt

oh aye ! lol

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 3:59 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Aloysius McGlumphurt

oh aye ! lol

Isn't he the centre forward for Dukla Pumphferstone??

Dubz

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 4:33 PM Quote
Elizabeth. It means "consecrated to God".

Everyone just calls me Liz.

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 4:38 PM Quote
Lizzie b wrote:

aaah, namebooks tell me my name has about the same meaning as "Elizabeth" because it somehow derives from it.
But I guess I'll never understand how "Lilian" can be a form of "Elizabeth" ;)

Like the name, though. It's kinda old-fashioned in Germany (Elisabeth, like the Austrian empress, but I like the English version better :) )

Monica
Monica Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 4:46 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Monica wrote:
My name's Mónica. Just in case some of you didn't notice :)

REALLY? well and here I was thinking you were a "María Jesús" in disguise ;)

Yes it is. Can you believe it? *lol*

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 5:00 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Lizzie b wrote:

aaah, namebooks tell me my name has about the same meaning as "Elizabeth" because it somehow derives from it.

Like the name, though. It's kinda old-fashioned in Germany (Elisabeth, like the Austrian empress, but I like the English version better :) )

I also do not see how Lillian and Elizabeth are similar...
But I like your name as well. I believe it is a little old-fashioned in the US, but I like names like that. When I have kids I want to name them old fashioned names. Like Ruth, Cecilia, Olivia, George, Charles, James (NOT Jim), etc... But I haven't decided on any yet :P

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 5:05 PM Quote
Lizzie b wrote:
lilly wrote:
Lizzie b wrote:

I also do not see how Lillian and Elizabeth are similar...
But I like your name as well. I believe it is a little old-fashioned in the US, but I like names like that. When I have kids I want to name them old fashioned names. Like Ruth, Cecilia, Olivia, George, Charles, James (NOT Jim), etc... But I haven't decided on any yet :P

haha, I think I wrote this before (somewhere), but there really seem to be a LOT of American grannies with my name running around ;) Last year I met several Americans who told me "Oh wow, Lillian? - That's my GRANDMA!" ;)

I like old-fashioned English names, too. The German ones are sometimes a bit "too much". I like George, my grandpa was called Georg :)

mili
mili Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 5:06 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Lizzie b wrote:

I think the Elis/zabeth/Lillian connection is very fitting, , you're a princess, after all!

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 5:15 PM Quote
mili wrote:
lilly wrote:
Lizzie b wrote:

I think the Elis/zabeth/Lillian connection is very fitting, , you're a princess, after all!

haha, you're right - yaaay ;)
But I think there really is a royal "Lilian", in Sweden? She's really old now, but she iiiis a H.R.H. ;)

sonja
sonja Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 6:39 PM Quote
mine is Sonja! like my nick here.. :0) and I think it`s originaly Russian..and it means something like `dream` or `dreaming` and it has serbian version `Sanja`... but there are meny people around the world with this name.. :0)

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 6:45 PM Quote

My Name's Nora which comes from Eleonora (Eleonore) - which means Light of God (Nor(a)=Light, El = God)

So I'm the light. But then again in a different kind of language-history (Etymology): I was told that people call their kids "Nora'" or "Norah" which can come from a mix from: nora + sarah but also stands for "darkness and fear" - as they take it from: Nour(a)(arabic)- noire (fr)...and I think in Old-hebra (?) they also translate it with darkness...strange....

Well the light-thin is definitely true - the darkness thing, - well that was a theology-and language-prof. who told me that, and also an arabic-friend of mine..but hey they probably just wanted to make fun of me ....(I kinda deserved it back then ;) )

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 6:49 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

My Name's Nora which comes from Eleonora (Eleonore) - which means Light of God (Nor(a)=Light, El = God)

So I'm the light. But then again in a different kind of language-history (Etymology): I was told that people call their kids "Nora'" or "Norah" which can come from a mix from: nora + sarah but also stands for "darkness and fear" - as they take it from: Nour(a)(arabic)- noire (fr)...and I think in Old-hebra (?) they also translate it with darkness...strange....

Well the light-thin is definitely true - the darkness thing, - well that was a theology-and language-prof. who told me that, and also an arabic-friend of mine..but hey they probably just wanted to make fun of me ....(I kinda deserved it back then ;) )

My grandmother's name is Nora.

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Thu 13 Nov, 2008 9:27 PM Quote
Kim and i nearly fogot how to post, its been so long

theflanintheface
theflanintheface Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 4:45 AM Quote
My name is Cynthia but everyone just calls me cyn

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:33 AM