Travis

Quite Free analysed
MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 2:27 AM Quote
So I've been enjoying Ode for a while and avoided the thread about linking the order of the J Smith songs till I'd formulated my own ideas about it. After reading the other theories, I'm hesitant to offer up my entire interpretation cos it's so different.
However, I think I've got Quite Free sorted. It's either the penultimate track or a couple before BYWY (it would be Last Words/Quite Free/BYWY). I don't think the chronology is fixed but rather fluid and interchangeable in the sense that you can group the songs before the track J Smith and after.

In Quite Free, the second line of each verse states each person's mental state, so
J Smith= padded cell
girl= dirty mind
I/we= a place to escape
J and the girl realise that they can not be released from their conditions. And for J that means his depression/hell and the girl with J abandoning her (or her killing him because of what he may have done to her) and she has to live with that---> the dirty mind part makes me think that).
Then the I/we are us and we see that we can make a change to be freer from whatever was trapping us but they can't. So the song is an outside person observing them and saying that they can do all these things to make a difference (don't stop when you really wanna let go). They might be trying to change but it's too late.
I dunno if anyone sees this stuff too, but cheers if you read this. :)

Re: Quite Free analysed
Bryn
Bryn Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 2:56 AM Quote
It's interesting... I just got the album, and one of the ones I was most thinking about after my first listens is Quite Free. I'm actually starting to think it might be a more hopeful song than I thought. It seems almost like he's feeling near to hopefulness, wanting to get there. He's not there yet, but he wants to be... if that makes sense. It's a tightrope he's walking, but I feel like it might be he's able to look down and see what he wants to be for a moment. lol, or not! :)

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 10:21 AM Quote
I think you're on to something! This album is written in such a interesting way. I want to get down and pick every piece out for myself, but I havn't really had the time to do it. One day I will get my hands dirty and solve the puzzle :D

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 6:34 PM Quote
Would make a great radio track :)

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:29 AM