Travis

Re: voting
Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:56 PM Quote
Plus, I think an issue we need to worry about far more than political clothing at the polls is the need for a standardized voting system that works! Every district does it differently! Write-in, touch screen, connect the dots. It baffles my mind that we're so technologically advanced in this day and age and we STILL can't get this right. Even after the Florida debacle with the "hanging chads"...that deserves a big WTF?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:59 PM Quote
yes, please explain that to me. Because i have never understood it. Kayte said something about writing her selected (so i assume some sorta checking a box scenario), I think it was goosey who said something about her vote being scanned...Ive heard people talking about pulling a lever, im assuming hanging chads is some sorta punch out system! This is very confusing to me!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 5:01 PM Quote
Sorry to keep you waiting! I was (gasp) doing some work.

Hubby went to early voting and they stopped some guy from going in saying he couldn't go in wearing his t-shirt that was political in nature (Brian didn't see it) but they told him he could turn it inside out or TAKE IT OFF.

Because a shirtless dude is less distracting than a political T-shirt???

I was tempted to wear my Republicans for Voldemort shirt (yes I do have one) as a joke but hubby said they'd probably stop me because it said "Republicans" even though it is a joke and dissing on them.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 5:09 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Sorry to keep you waiting! I was (gasp) doing some work.

Hubby went to early voting and they stopped some guy from going in saying he couldn't go in wearing his t-shirt that was political in nature (Brian didn't see it) but they told him he could turn it inside out or TAKE IT OFF.

Because a shirtless dude is less distracting than a political T-shirt???

I was tempted to wear my Republicans for Voldemort shirt (yes I do have one) as a joke but hubby said they'd probably stop me because it said "Republicans" even though it is a joke and dissing on them.

Wonder if they'd ask you to take it off too, Anne? LOL!

Kristy, yeah...the "hanging chads" came from a punch out voting system...we also have all those other types of voting that you mentioned. At my polling place, I fill in a bubble on a scantron sheet (like back in college). Then they put it through a machine that reads the vote. I heard that the locks on those machines and the voting information inside can be tampered with in 7 minutes or less. It's a joke, really. I'm gettin' fired up, y'all!! LOL. I love election day. :)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 5:34 PM Quote
shirtless voting! I think more people would show up that way!

SCANTRON! ahhhh! Highschool! University! Actually, I like multiple choice, so that would have been fun.
We just have the old school, take your ballot, put an X in the circle beside the candidates name, counted by hand thing. Old school but apperently effective.

There was this tv special a number of years back called Talking to Americans in which a CDN comedian, Rick Mercer, goes around and convinces Americans of a lot of things..like polar bear hunts in downtown Toronto, Prime Minister Tim Horton, that we just got our first paved road, etc etc etc. And one of the topics of convo is whether the US should adopt the CDN voting system in which you put a pinecone in the box of the candidate you are voting for.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 5:52 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
shirtless voting! I think more people would show up that way!

SCANTRON! ahhhh! Highschool! University! Actually, I like multiple choice, so that would have been fun.
We just have the old school, take your ballot, put an X in the circle beside the candidates name, counted by hand thing. Old school but apperently effective.

There was this tv special a number of years back called Talking to Americans in which a CDN comedian, Rick Mercer, goes around and convinces Americans of a lot of things..like polar bear hunts in downtown Toronto, Prime Minister Tim Horton, that we just got our first paved road, etc etc etc. And one of the topics of convo is whether the US should adopt the CDN voting system in which you put a pinecone in the box of the candidate you are voting for.

The old pinecone method. I hear it's very effective.

Ahh! I hated multiple choice! I'm all for the essay! You can BS your way through it! LOL! (Plus, I love writing...obviously). :)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 6:00 PM Quote
oh the essay! also a good option! It is a long and rambling one. I hated short answer things when you had to jam 5 points into a couple sentences.

ps-free lunch at work today.
pssThe Kristy election should have used the pinecone method, me thinks.

Joana
Joana Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 6:59 PM Quote
C'mon!Obama all the way!!:)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 7:18 PM Quote
I just voted. I left home with all 3 kids at 2:00 and was home by 2:12. Quick and easy, no waiting.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 7:26 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
What do you guys think about not being able to wear political clothing while you vote? A violation of our freedom of speech, or a way to protect people from feeling "attacked" while voting?

Discuss. (and I know Anne has a funny story about this, lol).

What was way worse than political clothing in my opinion, were the campaigners in the parking lot at my precinct! There is a certain line they could not cross, but the parking lot was out of the boundary and they were right there to greet me as I got out of my car. There is a hot contest for Judge in my city and these people are getting ugly with each other. I don't see many Presidential signs around town, but it seems like half the households here have a sign for Judge. That's why I don't like those yard signs, it puts neighbor against neighbor. When the election is over, almost half the people are going to be disappointed.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 7:30 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Nikki wrote:
What do you guys think about not being able to wear political clothing while you vote? A violation of our freedom of speech, or a way to protect people from feeling "attacked" while voting?

Discuss. (and I know Anne has a funny story about this, lol).

What was way worse than political clothing in my opinion, were the campaigners in the parking lot at my precinct! There is a certain line they could not cross, but the parking lot was out of the boundary and they were right there to greet me as I got out of my car.

ya that would annoying! I find that way more harmful then someone rocking their fav political tshirt. and potentially dangerous if people get their panties in a twist.

Fran
Fran Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 7:48 PM Quote
McCain is the past and Obama is the future. I just wondered because I haven't met anyone who will be voting for McCain. Seems rich folks are voting for him and pro lifers but wondered if there were any of you that were gonna go the other way and if so why?

kevvvy
kevvvy Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 7:50 PM Quote
I'd be voting for Obama if I was from the US definitly.
Word of warning though. I remember the euphoria that gripped the UK when Tony Blair became our PM. Stayed up till 5am watching the TV coverage and spent the weekend celebrating. Can still remember that Portillo interview now :D
Initial optimism soon turned into the same old despair though!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 7:51 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
McCain is the past and Obama is the future. I just wondered because I haven't met anyone who will be voting for McCain. Seems rich folks are voting for him and pro lifers but wondered if there were any of you that were gonna go the other way and if so why?

My friend's dad is voting for him because he hates the inheritance tax and thinks McCain will get rid of it.

I doubt he would anyway but that is his reason.

(And they are indeed well off so he falls in the rich folks category)

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 7:58 PM Quote
I take it back that everyone I know is voting Obama. My grandparents are voting McCain. But they are those people who vote Republican no matter what. I swear they don't even look at the issues. It angers me so much. I've tried talking to them about it, but they won't have any of it. They also fall in the more well off category though and are conservative when it comes to moral issues. Bah. At least they are in CA and not a swing state.

GOBAMA!

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Next All Times UTC Current Time 11:55 PM