Travis

Who Pressed Your Shirt?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 02 Nov, 2008 11:42 PM Quote
Just wondering why the lyric in "Friends" was changed. Pressing a shirt is a much deeper sign of love than just picking a shirt. I'll pick a shirt for anyone, but there's only one man for whom I'd get out my iron.

Re: Who Pressed Your Shirt?
MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Sun 02 Nov, 2008 11:53 PM Quote
When was it changed.. when why whaaaaa?

*is confused*

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 12:06 AM Quote
When Fran first posted the words to Friends, that part wasn't quite done. Then it was changed to "Who found your sock, who pressed your shirt." That was the version that the boardies used for our "Friends" songs. If you notice, Gerbil Sandwich kinda mumbles that part.

Then apparently it was changed again to "...who picked your shirt."

I just wondered why. In this day of wash 'n' wear, ironing is a real expression of love.

MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 12:22 AM Quote
ah well amn't i so observant and such a knowledgeable fan *cough*

That is so true! Good point. But maybe J. Smith has no taste and she was seriously helping him out.. and it could have been a crease free shirt?!

(Get ur bum into chat ;-D)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 12:44 AM Quote
yes, Gerbil Sandwich definatly mumbled.
This is very observant of you Kayte. I agree that pressed is also more of a sign of devotion.

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 1:14 AM Quote
That's a good question, Kayte. I also was wondering why the lyrics were changed... Cause when I heard the final version (the one that is on the album) for the first time, I was singing "Who found your sock, who pressed... Wait a sec, what did just Fran sing?? Picked? Whyyyyy?!" :oP. So, why?
Yeah, and I do think too that "pressed" is so much stronger than just "picked" :o)

leticia
leticia Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 1:31 AM Quote
What better way of showing your love to a friend than pressing his/her shirt? : P Who does that!?

Now that you are talking about this particular song, I have a question for you. I have a doubt about the meaning of the following part:

Won't love you and leave you
To mend the fence

I don't undertand the meaning of "to mend the fence". Can anyone elighten me? :) Thanks!!!

Bryn
Bryn Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 1:48 AM Quote
leticia wrote:
What better way of showing your love to a friend than pressing his/her shirt? : P Who does that!?

Now that you are talking about this particular song, I have a question for you. I have a doubt about the meaning of the following part:

Won't love you and leave you
To mend the fence

I don't undertand the meaning of "to mend the fence". Can anyone elighten me? :) Thanks!!!

It's a phrase in English that basically means "pick up the pieces"... so a friend won't love you when times are good and leave you to deal with things all alone when they are not good.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 3:56 AM Quote
I noticed that too, Kayte! I agree. Pressing a shirt is a much deeper sign of love. I hate ironing, lol.

frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 8:35 AM Quote
maybe picked your shirt could mean another act of picking:
not pick it off a rack or shelf but more like picking it off the ground when its lying around on the floor?

coz j smith is a depressed man who's prone to be messy..

that actually was my first interpretation of picked your shirt coz it came right after this line
<who found your socks>

haha.now i think i could be wrong!

leticia
leticia Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 11:39 AM Quote
Bryn wrote:

It's a phrase in English that basically means "pick up the pieces"... so a friend won't love you when times are good and leave you to deal with things all alone when they are not good.

Thanks Bryn!!

Quote:
maybe picked your shirt could mean another act of picking:
not pick it off a rack or shelf but more like picking it off the ground when its lying around on the floor?

I thought the same :)

purplesky
purplesky Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 3:17 PM Quote
Stupid double post. Sorry. :)

purplesky
purplesky Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 3:18 PM Quote
[/quote]

It's a phrase in English that basically means "pick up the pieces"... so a friend won't love you when times are good and leave you to deal with things all alone when they are not good. [/quote]

Thanks a lot for the explanation! I've always wondered what that phrase meant. Thanks! :)

Monica
Monica Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 5:59 PM Quote
I noticed that but as English is not my native language I can't hear meanings in songs when listening to them. Haha. So for me it's the same "pressed" and "picked" :p

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 7:51 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
I noticed that but as English is not my native language I can't hear meanings in songs when listening to them. Haha. So for me it's the same "pressed" and "picked" :p

They don’t mean the same thing. To pick someone’s shirt means to choose the shirt they’re going to wear. To press a shirt means to iron the wrinkles out.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times UTC Current Time 11:31 AM