Travis

Re: 'unpopular' Travis songs you love
erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 1:12 AM Quote
leticia wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Midsummer Nights Dreamin seems to be one a lot of people dislike or aren't so keen on. I really like it. And Good Day To Die is one of my favourite Travis rockers! Falling Down was AMAZING to hear live in February (not so wow on the recorded version) and we had More Than Us too. Great concert. :)

Hey! Do you have the audio of Falling Down live? : )

yep, completely agree, hear falling down in february was one of the best songs ever live... wowow, I'll never forget that song in my life!! Falling down recorded version...its ok... but live was woow....

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 1:41 AM Quote
i love We Are Monkeys :D

frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 6:39 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I love The Cage too. Always loved it. :)

IT has got to be the cage!!a must whenever i listen to Travis songs =)) im so damn addicted to it..

more are indefinitely,somewhere else,last laugh of the laughter,new amsterdam and sailing away...actually loads more=DD

sin
sin Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 1:27 PM Quote
i love afterglow, and the bside this love (:

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 5:37 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
I love the end of Good Feeling, does that count as unpopular? The purest songs Travis have ever done, simple piano riff, simple melody, simply brilliant :)

I concur!

I miss Travis songs like these to be honest. Of course that isn't to say Travis aren't making good songs now, but they're different. The oldies have this energy in them - even the ballads have a kind of suppressed energy - and there's something addictive about it. Those soaring notes in Falling Down, Funny Thing and I Love You Anyways give me goosebumps.

My two least favs on Good Feeling are Good Day To Die and Midsummer Night Dreamin' too for the record. :P

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 6:47 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
I love the end of Good Feeling, does that count as unpopular? The purest songs Travis have ever done, simple piano riff, simple melody, simply brilliant :)

I concur!

I miss Travis songs like these to be honest. Of course that isn't to say Travis aren't making good songs now, but they're different. The oldies have this energy in them - even the ballads have a kind of suppressed energy - and there's something addictive about it. Those soaring notes in Falling Down, Funny Thing and I Love You Anyways give me goosebumps.

My two least favs on Good Feeling are Good Day To Die and Midsummer Night Dreamin' too for the record. :P

Good Feeling buddies! *high 5*

I know what you mean about the purity, it's that first album thing that applies to so many bands. That's why I love Sarah and Used To Belong, they have a tiny spark of that energy. I was listening to Coldplay's Parachutes today and I'd forgotten how fresh it sounds, Coldplay should try going back to their roots one day though it's understandable that they let Travis pave the way as usual :P

Also for the record, I'd like to backtrack on my dislike of the Boy b-sides. They aren't very memorable for me but they provide a good listen from time to time (like this afternoon. Twice :D)

Loving Ring Out The Bell too, that's not very popular either is it?

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:12 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:

I concur!

Good Feeling buddies! *high 5*

I know what you mean about the purity, it's that first album thing that applies to so many bands. That's why I love Sarah and Used To Belong, they have a tiny spark of that energy. I was listening to Coldplay's Parachutes today and I'd forgotten how fresh it sounds, Coldplay should try going back to their roots one day though it's understandable that they let Travis pave the way as usual :P

Also for the record, I'd like to backtrack on my dislike of the Boy b-sides. They aren't very memorable for me but they provide a good listen from time to time (like this afternoon. Twice :D)

Loving Ring Out The Bell too, that's not very popular either is it?

Ring Out The Bell is beautiful - another example of simple songs that have some real power behind them.

I can't really say TBWNN, both album and b-sides, really excite me save for a few (Closer, Selfish Jean, Sailing Away, This Love and Say Hello come to mind). And yes, Parachutes does sound very fresh still. Although Viva la Vida is one of my favourite Coldplay albums too. The Coldplay album I've never really got into is A Rush Of Blood... great singles, and in all fairness decent enough songs in general, but I just didn't connect with it for whatever reason.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:49 PM Quote
Wooh, this thread just keeps growing. I expected about 3 replies hahah.

Totally agree about A Rush Of Blood to the Head. Was so disappointed with it because Parachutes was an album that connected with me in a way only probably 3 or 4 other albums (including The Man Who) have ever done. I like the stuff about purity and energy - that's a great way to describe something that's really hard to explain. I used to call it 'x-factor' but now just associate that term with karaoke singers releasing Mariah Carey covers and giving Simon Cowell lots of money.

It's the power a song/album has to hit you deeper than just 'oh this is alright', when it goes deeper than your ears and touches something inside you. So rare.

Parachutes did, AROBTTH was just three or four really good singles and.....the rest of them. Struggle to name too many other songs from that album. Politik. Green Eyes. Amsterdam. erm....they were just forgettable and lacking in that purity.

But I can understand why, always. A band has about 20 years to write their first album, then about 12 months to write their second. So many debut albums you can see something really special in, then the follow-up, while it might still sound alright, just has no magic. Definitely happened with Coldplay.

Travis bucked the trend by writingtheir absolute magnum-opus as album #2. Which is nice.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 8:14 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
Travis bucked the trend by writingtheir absolute magnum-opus as album #2. Which is nice.

Though most of them were written at the same time or before the songs on Good Feeling. :)

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 9:46 PM Quote
Seriously, i love ALL Travis songs, popular or 'unpopular', but i love them all :D

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 11:04 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Mikko85 wrote:

Though most of them were written at the same time or before the songs on Good Feeling. :)

Maybe they 'wrote' Ode so quickly because they found an old tape under the sofa, dusted it off and remembered a load of good tunes that somehow got forgotten about in the whirlwind of releasing stuff. They polished them off, went into a studio and Ta-Dah! a new Good Feelingish album!

Maybe...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 11:22 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Mikko85 wrote:

Maybe they 'wrote' Ode so quickly because they found an old tape under the sofa, dusted it off and remembered a load of good tunes that somehow got forgotten about in the whirlwind of releasing stuff. They polished them off, went into a studio and Ta-Dah! a new Good Feelingish album!

Maybe...

Fran has said that the songs that appeared on The Man Who (apart from a few of course including Driftwood that were written in 98/99) weren't on Good Feeling partly because they couldn't record them well enough. They were better musicians when they came to record The Man Who. :) I can't remember exactly where i heard that or exactly what was said. I think it was on the big podcast from last year about The Man Who. :)

Bryn
Bryn Posted Fri 31 Oct, 2008 12:15 AM Quote
I love Good Day to Die. I think that the chorus part has a really cool melody that gets overlooked because of the rockiness... I think if they did it more acoustically and toned it down some, it would make for a really pretty song. I wish they would!

iraida
iraida Posted Fri 31 Oct, 2008 1:07 AM Quote
Good Day to Day fan also and Indefinitely at the moment :)

Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Fri 31 Oct, 2008 1:26 AM Quote
Bryn wrote:
I love Good Day to Die. I think that the chorus part has a really cool melody that gets overlooked because of the rockiness... I think if they did it more acoustically and toned it down some, it would make for a really pretty song. I wish they would!

Oh yeah, i love it too :D
it's pretty awesome...

Pages Previous 1...4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:09 PM