Travis

Re: Last film you saw
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 04 Feb, 2012 11:25 PM Quote
Don and I have decided to make our way through the AFI top 100 list. We've already seen about half.

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_01_img0026.jpg
American Graffiti

This movie inspired the TV show Happy Days. It was a fun movie if you like 50's/60's stuff. Good soundtrack. Very young Ron Howard & Harrison Ford in it.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 04 Feb, 2012 11:40 PM Quote
Woo hooo HWY 37 Kayte !

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 2:00 AM Quote
That's a great movie. It's one of my dad's favorites.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 05 Feb, 2012 4:39 PM Quote
I love American Graffiti!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 06 Feb, 2012 1:12 AM Quote
Ealing double feature...Audrey Hepburn has 5 mins in this one

http://i2.listal.com/image/926403/936full-the-lavender-hill-mob-poster.jpg

and with a very young peter sellers

http://classicfilmsreloaded.com/images/ladykillers-poster.jpg

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 06 Feb, 2012 3:18 PM Quote
I have the Ladykillers on dvd. It's brilliant, especially towards the end. I believe it was remade with Tom Hanks, I never, ever wanna see that.

The last film I seen was The Rock, it's pretty shit but brilliant for wasting an hour and a half. It stars Sean Connery who basically plays Sean Connery these days

Dubz

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Mon 06 Feb, 2012 3:26 PM Quote
American History X

It might just be the most upsetting movie I've ever seen ever.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 06 Feb, 2012 3:57 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
American History X

It might just be the most upsetting movie I've ever seen ever.

Brilliant Movie !! Very, very difficult to watch in places ("Put your teeth on the kerb"). Have it on dvd, with a few deleted scenes. Ed Furlong who plays the younger brother is also the wee dude from the 2nd terminator movie.

It really is quite interesting that the original Skinheads were into Ska & Reggae, and pretty much against racism and violence, it is unfortunate (and sad) that the whole thing was hijacked by people basically calling themselves neo-nazis. I still get looks for wearing a Green Bomber Jacket. Mind you I was at a Dublin soccer match (Bohemians versus Shelbourne) and a guy from Eastern Europe (I think going by the accent) asked me "You are real Irish Skinhead yes ??"

Dubz

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 06 Feb, 2012 5:07 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I have the Ladykillers on dvd. It's brilliant, especially towards the end. I believe it was remade with Tom Hanks, I never, ever wanna see that.

Dubz

The remake is HORRID

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 07 Feb, 2012 11:23 PM Quote
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1574458569429&id=1ee216bf4f146264aa1e6f244a8dbb0f

A Very Long Engagement

We didn't know it when we got it, this is a French movie with English subtitles. It was interesting enough; a girl was told her fiance was killed in the war, but she doesn't believe it. She hires a private detective and searches for him. Lo and behold, she discovers that he really is alive. But he has amnesia. Oh, dear. She goes to see him at the end of the movie. *SPOILER ALERT* "She looks at him. She looks at him. She looks at him." The end.

THE END???? She looks at him and that's the END? Oh, gee, that's what I've been waiting for for over two hours! (At first I typed 3 hours, because that's what it felt like, but upon looking it up, it was 2 hours, 13 min.)

A very pretty movie. Pretty star. Cute boy. Jodi Foster is in it speaking French. Jodi Foster is in it having graphic sex. If you like foreign films with unsatisfying endings, this is for you. She looks at him, the end.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 07 Feb, 2012 11:36 PM Quote
I lurve that movie . He brought up Marshal Pétain ...Micmacs is the directors most recent ?

micmacs

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 07 Feb, 2012 11:53 PM Quote
Didn't you find the ending unsatisfying? Like taking a lovely drive out in the country that ends at a brick wall.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 08 Feb, 2012 1:16 PM Quote
It's a ending that lets you use your imagination

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 08 Feb, 2012 4:12 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
It's a ending that lets you use your imagination

Ok, then I imagine that she shows him a piece of paper with MMM on it, he suddenly regains his memory of her, they get married and live happily ever after.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 08 Feb, 2012 4:17 PM Quote
http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/417305.1020.A.jpg

Sullivan's Travels

Somehow Don swears we saw this movie and he knew everything that was going to happen after the first half. I didn't remember ANYTHING about it, not the title, not the actors, not the plot, NOTHING. This makes me feel like I am going crazy. But anyway, I'm surprised this movie made it on the Top 100 list. I can't figure out why. It was just ok*. Rich movie producer wants to make a movie about the people who are down and out, so he disguises himself as a tramp to find out what's it's like to have hard times.

*Maybe it's just me. This movie gets 5 star reviews all over the place.

Pages Previous 1...76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:34 AM