Travis

On Irish language (as Gaeilge)
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:25 AM Quote

I can't remember which thread it was in and I'm too lazy to go searching but someone on here was asking about the Irish Language a while back.

this film sort of explains it, be aware it's 13minutes long but it's quite worth it about a Chinese man who comes to Ireland, Look out for Father Jack.

Yu Ming is anim dom (My Name Is Yu Ming)

Enjoy
Dubz

Re: On Irish language (as Gaeilge)
kiwi
kiwi Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 8:33 PM Quote
It was on the Boardie Question thread I think...

I'm not going crazy, you do commonly call it irish don't you? I used to have to do study during irish and that's what my friends called it, but when I was talking to some people recently at uni here and they said I was making it up, and there's no such language?!

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 8:36 PM Quote
kiwi wrote:

I'm not going crazy, you do commonly call it irish don't you? I used to have to do study during irish and that's what my friends called it, but when I was talking to some people recently at uni here and they said I was making it up, and there's no such language?!

Um, well I have to learn a couple of pages of Irish a week so it better be real!

kiwi
kiwi Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 8:39 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Um, well I have to learn a couple of pages of Irish a week so it better be real!

Phew! I knew I was right, but the looks I got given when I said it made me think maybe I was going crazy!! Ignorant people, tsk =). I love listening to that album they put with irish versions of songs by The Frames and Bell X1 etc, even though I don't understand much!!

MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:17 AM Quote
Nil aon gaeilge agam anois. Ta brom orm.
Ta scammal sa speir agus Sharon Nibhaolain(sp?!) Is maith liom caca milis, CACA MILIS!
Cuinis bothar cailin bainne lol

See what i mean? I have absolutely NO idea of any irish i ever learnt. No fadas available on my laptop to add insult to injury

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sat 25 Oct, 2008 1:11 AM Quote
MariaMak wrote:
Nil aon gaeilge agam anois. Ta brom orm.
Ta scammal sa speir agus Sharon Nibhaolain(sp?!) Is maith liom caca milis, CACA MILIS!
Cuinis bothar cailin bainne lol

See what i mean? I have absolutely NO idea of any irish i ever learnt. No fadas available on my laptop to add insult to injury

does ctrl + alt + a work? I changed my laptop round somehow a while ago and it started working... you're doing well, even though I understood... 3 words... :)

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sat 25 Oct, 2008 4:09 PM Quote
lol I liked that! Cheers for posting Dubz.....god Irish is such a hard language to learn but my friend helps me out..it's very funny. I just don't get it. But then I'm shite at ALL languages, even my own! hahaha

Yulia Nox
Yulia Nox Posted Sat 25 Oct, 2008 10:56 PM Quote
haha, cool

thanks for posting! ;)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 25 Oct, 2008 11:57 PM Quote
you're both very welcome, it was actually Dee who introduced me to it so thank her, btw did you know Dee is fluent in Irish ??

Dubz

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sun 26 Oct, 2008 12:18 PM Quote
Thanks Dee! :) lol

That girl just gets more and more impressive ;)

dee
dee Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 2:32 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
Thanks Dee! :) lol

That girl just gets more and more impressive ;)

i know , i know, i amaze myself sometimes too:)

Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Mon 27 Oct, 2008 5:37 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I can't remember which thread it was in and I'm too lazy to go searching but someone on here was asking about the Irish Language a while back.

this film sort of explains it, be aware it's 13minutes long but it's quite worth it about a Chinese man who comes to Ireland, Look out for Father Jack.

Yu Ming is anim dom (My Name Is Yu Ming)

Enjoy
Dubz

I used to try and learn Irish through some old tapes that my dad has. (I didn't try very hard, though, and wasn't motivated enough to make it more than just a waste of time.) I always thought it sounded a bit like Chinese. It might just have been my ignorancy, but, upon watching this film, maybe not. (I also think that traditional Irish and traditional Chinese music share some similarities, but I can't really say how.)

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 9:27 AM