Travis

I need help from the Moms of the board...
Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 5:59 PM Quote
is it "feed a fever, starve a cold"? or am i supposed to feed the cold and starve the fever...?

i've got a bit of a cold and am going to France this weekend. anyone got any suggestions on how i can kick this thing in the butt?

yes, i am 24 years old and still don't know how to take care of myself. that is why i am asking the moms here instead of crawling back to my own mom. i'm married for goodness sake, i can't let her know she sent me off unprepared!!

thanks!!

Re: I need help from the Moms of the board...
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 6:04 PM Quote
I was just reading something about you shouldn't ever starve whichever one it is. (I can't remember which way it goes)

I advise rest, lots of fluids, and chicken soup.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 6:05 PM Quote
Feed a cold, dear. Just remember the old thing about eating chicken soup when you have a cold. Feed.

If your cold has just started, I've found Zicam (or any similar zinc products, like Cold-Eez) effective in shortening it. But if you're already in the thick of it, it won't help. Actifed used to be good until they changed the formula.

There's really not much to do but wait.

If you're going to be sick, you might as well be sick somewhere fun. Enjoy your weekend!

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 6:25 PM Quote
i'm so glad u guys said that! i feel like i've eaten more than usual today, but i am still starving!

thanks! i will def try and drink more and rest more before hand cuz we are gonna be pushing the limits of tourism.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 6:30 PM Quote
Also in terms of medicine I'm a fan of Mucinex. Don't know if you can get that there.

But more importantly get lots of fluids in you.

And if your body wants to eat, feed it!

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 6:31 PM Quote
why chicken soup of all the different soups possible? never quite understood that

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 6:36 PM Quote
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
why chicken soup of all the different soups possible? never quite understood that

Chicken is very easily digested, rather than something like beef. Other than that, it's just the veggies in the stock are healthy and when served hot, the steam may clear your stuffy nose. I'm sure any soup would be just as good, but chicken may be easier on the tummy if you're feeling poorly.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 6:36 PM Quote
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:

I think supposedly there is something about the combination of ingredients that helps you get better but I read that has mainly been debunked so now it's just a good comfort food.

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 6:46 PM Quote
Oh,ok, that makes sense especially if there is something specific about the combination of chicken and veggies that can help you, I love chicken soup by the way,been eating it all my life

may i suggest something else also? have you guys tried airborne or the knock-off brand airshield....i think that it actually works

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 8:01 PM Quote
Chicken soup has something in it that prevents the build up of icky mucus that comes with the cold so it helps when you are all bunged up. That's whay my mummy always told me! So whenever I start feeling bunged up and cold/flu like I bring out the soup. Plus it's lovely and warm and comforting! Indeedy.

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 8:21 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
Chicken soup has something in it that prevents the build up of icky mucus that comes with the cold so it helps when you are all bunged up. That's whay my mummy always told me! So whenever I start feeling bunged up and cold/flu like I bring out the soup. Plus it's lovely and warm and comforting! Indeedy.

i was all bunged up last week,this week i'm better:-) how are you?

ingraca
ingraca Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 9:11 PM Quote
fluids- and anti-inflammatories- eg ibuprofen- and more fliuds-
and the same again and again
add a few paracetamol for headache
( can take both)
enjoy!!!
cathy ( nurse of 25 years )
hugs also help

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:00 PM Quote
ingraca wrote:
( can take both)
enjoy!!!
hugs also help

coming from a seasoned nurse, i take that as really good advice. and i will definitely tell my husband about the hugs! :)

spid
spid Posted Wed 22 Oct, 2008 12:17 PM Quote
ingraca wrote:
( can take both)
enjoy!!!
hugs also help

perfect!

cornax
cornax Posted Wed 22 Oct, 2008 12:37 PM Quote
I would DEFINITELY recommend sinus irrigation. Either with the ancient netti pot (sp?) or a new-fangled squirt bottle. Both use warm saline (salt) water and it does wonders for thinning secretions and draining the sinuses. Everyone picturing that lovely image? ; )

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:16 AM