Travis

Re: US Date Announced
oneofthe3
oneofthe3 Posted Mon 03 Nov, 2008 9:19 PM Quote
I'd watch that Melanie, she's trouble ;)

Piper, we must have met too. I'm terrible with names though.

TheScenestar
TheScenestar Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 12:48 AM Quote
KCRW is a sponsor of the Travis Troubadour show and have been giving away tickets. They just gave away 5 pairs to the 1st 5 callers this morning during Morning Becomes Eclectic. In L.A., it's 89.9fm but you can stream the station online through www.kcrw.com. They're probably only give the tickets away in the morning but maybe some of their other music shows will give them away too. From 12pm - 7pm, they broadcast NPR. The rest of the time they play music.

Ani
Ani Posted Wed 05 Nov, 2008 11:39 PM Quote
Hi, regarding KCRW - you have to be a subscriber to the station to get those tix. Now we know where all the tix are!

HalWarning
HalWarning Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:32 PM Quote
Guys we need more dates here in the US! Get on it! No Seriously! Get on it!

TheScenestar
TheScenestar Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 6:08 PM Quote
That's true. To win you have to be a suscriber. It's $50 and you get 4 pairs of concert tickets through the year. The tickets are always to good shows like Radiohead, Bjork, Beck, Sigur Ros, Kings of Leon, Travis, etc. They're easy to win too because not everyone that listens to the station is a suscriber and I've always gotten through to win the tickets I want. That and suscribers get discounts everywhere in L.A. It pretty much pays for itself by the end of the year. I've been a suscriber for years and soooo worth it. If I didn't already have tickets then I would have called to win them. Also, I doubt they'll add more U.S. shows seeing how they want to keep the show intimate which is why they picked the Troubadour. Seeing that the show is less than a week from now, it would be way too much drama to add another Troubadour show or more it to a larger venue like The El Rey, Wiltern or Greek. They'll probably be back early next year for a proper tour at a larger venue unless they decide to do Coachella. We'll see...

Ani wrote:
Hi, regarding KCRW - you have to be a subscriber to the station to get those tix. Now we know where all the tix are!

HalWarning
HalWarning Posted Thu 06 Nov, 2008 10:01 PM Quote
It's just a shame that the face value is $30.00 and scalpers are getting $300.00+ and our boys are not getting a penny of the difference.

I've given up trying for this event. I won't be attending unless someone comes through with a surprise birthday present because all of my friends know I'm a crazy Travis fan. Money is just too tight right now to spend $300.00.

Hopefully you're right and our boys will announce a US tour for next year.

TheScenestar
TheScenestar Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 1:03 AM Quote
I don't think the point of the show was for Travis to make money like when they tour. If it was, they would have played a larger venue and added more dates in bigger markets (NYC, Chicago, SF, etc). Its more publicity for the new album than the band making money. $30 per ticket x 500 Troubadour capacity: $15,000 VS $30 per ticket X 2,200 Wiltern capacity: $66,000. Big difference, right? The Troubadour is a really historic venue and it wouldn't feel as special or as intimate at a larger location. Plus it's only Travis with no opening band! How cool is that? I'm sure KCRW is paying the difference to accomodate the band's rate and housing to promote the station along with promoting the band's new album.

I also think most of those tickets scalpers are people that bought tickets intending to go but then saw the dollar signs and decided to take advantage of the supply & demand of those fans seeing them in such a small venue at whatever cost. Yeah, the 1st week they were going for almost 1K on EBay, but now they're on Craigslist for $300 a pair. Yes, it sucks for those who didn't get tickets but it could have been WAY worse especially since the tickets were mailed out to ticket buyers. It might have been smarter to have all the tickets on will-call like some bigger bands that played there recently (AFI, Killers, Mars Volta, Peter Townsend). Even then, some people buy a pair, sell their guest spot and have the buyer come in with them when they check in after they close the deal. There's no perfect system so I don't think fans should be so hard on Travis for trying to set up something special for U.S. fans in celebration of their new album. If anything, they might not do anything like this again in this stage of their career barring hometown shows so for those going to the Troubadour, enjoy and have fun.

HalWarning wrote:
It's just a shame that the face value is $30.00 and scalpers are getting $300.00+ and our boys are not getting a penny of the difference.

I've given up trying for this event. I won't be attending unless someone comes through with a surprise birthday present because all of my friends know I'm a crazy Travis fan. Money is just too tight right now to spend $300.00.

Hopefully you're right and our boys will announce a US tour for next year.

castaspella
castaspella Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 1:10 AM Quote
I'm a KCRW subscriber and called in and....am the first alternate in case one of the winners can't make it! SO CLOSE!!! :(

Sharona
Sharona Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 2:27 AM Quote
Anyone know who the opening act is?

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that Doug Weston, the owner of the Troubadour, allows anyone to play at the Troubadour, as long as they play it again, no matter how popular they get. I wonder if that had any effect on their choice to play there.

TheScenestar
TheScenestar Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 6:48 PM Quote
It doesn't look like there's an opening band. Usually there's time slots on there for an opening band. I think it's just them alone:

http://www.troubadour.com/eventdetail.php?id=1007

Doors open at 8pm. If it's just them, it should be a long amazing setlist.

Sharona wrote:
Anyone know who the opening act is?

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that Doug Weston, the owner of the Troubadour, allows anyone to play at the Troubadour, as long as they play it again, no matter how popular they get. I wonder if that had any effect on their choice to play there.

TheScenestar
TheScenestar Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 10:38 PM Quote
I used to think that if they had a set amount of guaranteed ticket sales or local, they can play there. If what you say below is true about having to play at the Troubadour then I can't wait till Arcade Fire, Interpol, or Radiohead to play there again.

Sharona wrote:

caljam
caljam Posted Fri 07 Nov, 2008 11:58 PM Quote
I am going down to the Troub with cash in hand...now that I know KCRW is giving away tix, maybe some winners would rather have cash than tix! The biggest highlight of my musical career was playing the Troub many years ago so I can't wait to see my favorite band there.

sdoah
sdoah Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 2:19 PM Quote
I am truly sorry so many of you couldn't get tickets. It is a shame that true fans couldn't get tickets. I will be there, hopefully near the front of the line with my son. He's in 5th grade so we shouldn't be too heard to recognize. Please say hi to me as I'd love to meet a few of you from these Travis boards. Trust me, once word got out of the after-market prices, more than a few people suggested I sell my tickets and it was always an immediate, "No way! I'd rather have this amazing experience than money." My boy and I love Travis. See you there.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 6:28 PM Quote
http://www.gigposters.com/posters/TN_105443.JPG

here's the poster . no idea if this is some VIP thing or available to the public . Could be a portfolio piece for all I know

edit , a little research on the artists site leads to this .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140280511064&ih=004&category=105045&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:NEWLIST#LIST

bad form to be selling before the show , digital offset . not a silkscreen for those that care

sdoah
sdoah Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 8:45 PM Quote
Wow! Thanks for posting the poster. I must have that! I must, must, must have that.

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:00 PM