Travis

Fran plans to write a musical!!
akanksha
akanksha Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 10:36 AM Quote
Article from The Daily Record

Exclusive: I plan to write a musical, reveals Fran Healy of Travis
Oct 6 2008 Beverley Lyons And Laura Sutherland

TRAVIS frontman Fran Healy wants to write his own musical - and he believes his efforts could outdo those of Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Fran, 35, says he and the band are having the time of their lives after recording their most recent offering, Ode To J Smith.

The album is written like a book and Fran says it is just part of a bigger picture he has in his head. He explained: "I would love to write a musical.

"I think our songs lend themselves naturally to that. I've always been a big fan of the great musical writers such as Rogers and Hammerstein and Irving Berlin.

"Not Lloyd Webber. I think that's money for old rope." Fran says his taste in musicals is a bit more old-fashioned than Joseph or Jesus Christ Superstar.

He added: "I think the greatest musical writers were the American ones.

"We were playing some Sound Of Music tracks before the shows and Doh A Deer is so clever, incorporating the scales. That's something I'd like to do. I don't think there are really great musicals. It's all smoke and mirrors."

Fran believes modern musicals such as Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You are just ways of making money for songwriters.

He said: "I'd like to write a whole new score. Musicals written around already released songs are just a medium to squeeze money out of them. With Abba songs, you should do that as much as possible but I'd like to write one from scratch."

Although Travis are preoccupied with their album, Fran says he plans to follow his ambitions as he gets older.

He explained: "I want to write 12 albums and we're on the sixth one just now. Writing a musical will not be something I do in the next five years."

And when it does happen, Fran says his role would be very much a behind-the-scenes one.

He's not planning on following in the footsteps of Marti Pellow and starring in his own show.

Personally I think it's a great idea

I love musicals and watching one written by Fran would Make My Life Complete!

Re: Fran plans to write a musical!!
Moray
Moray Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 12:05 PM Quote
King and I and South Pacific are awesome! So's the Wizard of Oz!

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:47 PM Quote
Please dont Fran.

Erial
Erial Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:34 PM Quote
Ohhhh, that's a GREAT idea! Although ouch, man. Don't touch Jesus Christ Superstar. *holds it tight* I love that musical.

But hey, the Sound of Music is great too. And I'm sure Fran would make a brilliant musical. Dougie can be the star!xD Why not, uhu.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:23 PM Quote
Please do Fran!

Sounds great. Oh the future's bright for our Fran! :)

Bryn
Bryn Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 8:38 PM Quote
Erial wrote:
Ohhhh, that's a GREAT idea! Although ouch, man. Don't touch Jesus Christ Superstar. *holds it tight* I love that musical.

Me too!! Love it.

I think it would be really really cool... he's right, some older musicals have amazingly clever lyrics. And I am annoyed by the Mama Mia type stuff... it would be cool if he wrote a classic style musical!

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 10:32 PM Quote
Can you imagine how beautiful that would be if it got all the attention it needed .....Something to realy look forward to :

I request a VIP ticket now please :)

RUTHIEBABE00
RUTHIEBABE00 Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 10:39 PM Quote
Wow how fantastic!! I'd love to see Fran do that. I loved the Sound of Music... timeless classic. Look forward to seeing it in years to come.... need to see a concert first ;o)

Yulia Nox
Yulia Nox Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 11:34 PM Quote
:O
that'd be really interesting :O!!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 11:41 PM Quote
I'm sure it would be amazing. Fran, please do! Follow your dreams. :o)

MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:34 AM Quote
MoreThanMe wrote:
Please dont Fran.

Do elaborate. I'm interested

Don't know how i'd feel about a musical either...

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 11:54 AM