Re: The
lestafox
lestafox Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 7:54 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
lestafox wrote:
minnmess wrote:
lestafox wrote:
i blame Nikki and minnmiss myself:P

ppftt. dont blame me (if i am in fact minnmIss). I have provided absolutely no insight. I just comment on other's comments :)
And to avoid work on this friday afternoon before a long weekend.

:P I was only messing lol! We all need someone to blame for our messed up heads and Frans god on this site so i cant blame him! But what i want to know is what the hell has J Smith done to this women, i mean, women are hard work at the best of times! :P (only messing im not sexist) The invisable boy has brought up some good points but we need a timeline to split these songs up before the suicide and after to make better sense of them

no worries. i was just joking too.
And i agree, we chicks are hard work, lol. I'm pretty low maintance and yet still, i will admit it: We are a complicated bunch! That is why you love us.
Blame away!

Wow! A women admiting they are hard work! lol! I lived 27 years and had 4 sisters around me and still not acheived that admission from them! P.s. i love you now...anyway....back to the thread, we theorised on the songs for ages so lets summarise by drawing a timeline for the songs

Fran says the album is a story or book about J.Smith. We can take the song titles to be the titles of the chapters. Some of these chapters can go anywhere after the suicide i.e. Friends is when she reflects on things. We know that CB and BYWY are the first and last songs with J.Smith being the pivital song in there which sperates the songs between before and after commiting suicide.

first chapter
CHINESE BLUES (not quite figured out what happens in this chapter or its just an intro into his depressed world expressing his feelings and where people are out to get him)

next could be...
SOMETHING ANYTHING as he struggles to get through the days and keep himself afloat

LAST WORDS where he admits to himself that hes tried to hold on and find out whats going on but he cant do it anymore and so writes a ?suicide note for her

J. SMITH where he finally commits suicide only to be told you dont belong in heaven, not even hell and back to earth with you as that is hell for you

LONG WAY DOWN hes being sent back to Earth and he cant hide from it, hes like a coward trying to run away from his problems and hide but he realises he cantand hes not being allowed to, hes got to face up to them

GET UP in which he has to awake and get up basically and put things right

FRIENDS when she reflects on their relationship - this chapter could go anywhere after the suicide

BYWY when he reflects on his relationship with her and learns from his bad ways ??? only to then realise he cant turn back the time and put them right

That leaves SONG TO SELF to debate before or after suicide and i dont get broken mirror or quite free yet., it hasnt clicked yet so havent put them in. What do you guys think?

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:09 PM Quote
I would definately love to read a book written by Fran, A J Smith, or another, so, Fran, would you do it sometime?

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:11 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I remember Eledh told me that the sound of voices at the beginning of BYWY can also be heard on another track. For those with the album, which track is it? Maybe there's a connection there...

That would be Broken Mirror. The 'voices' are odd things :S

I think I'm going to leave this thread, I'm far too confused and I like keeping my own song meanings nice and safe :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:13 PM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
I would definately love to read a book written by Fran, A J Smith, or another, so, Fran, would you do it sometime?

Well, he did say he wants to write a musical some day. :) He's a man of many talents.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:18 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:

Well, he did say he wants to write a musical some day. :) He's a man of many talents.

yes, he should donate at least one talent to me ¬¬ lol
well, a musical, a book, and write a script for a movie hahaha, yes, all would be amazing written by Fran :)

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:19 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:

"Ode To J. Smith - The Musical" would be fantastic!
Wonderfully dramatic.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:20 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Nikki wrote:
I remember Eledh told me that the sound of voices at the beginning of BYWY can also be heard on another track. For those with the album, which track is it? Maybe there's a connection there...

I think I'm going to leave this thread, I'm far too confused and I like keeping my own song meanings nice and safe :)

Where are the voices in Broken Mirror?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:21 PM Quote
lestafox wrote:
minnmess wrote:
lestafox wrote:
minnmess wrote:
lestafox wrote:
i blame Nikki and minnmiss myself:P

ppftt. dont blame me (if i am in fact minnmIss). I have provided absolutely no insight. I just comment on other's comments :)
And to avoid work on this friday afternoon before a long weekend.

:P I was only messing lol! We all need someone to blame for our messed up heads and Frans god on this site so i cant blame him! But what i want to know is what the hell has J Smith done to this women, i mean, women are hard work at the best of times! :P (only messing im not sexist) The invisable boy has brought up some good points but we need a timeline to split these songs up before the suicide and after to make better sense of them

no worries. i was just joking too.
And i agree, we chicks are hard work, lol. I'm pretty low maintance and yet still, i will admit it: We are a complicated bunch! That is why you love us.
Blame away!

Wow! A women admiting they are hard work! lol! I lived 27 years and had 4 sisters around me and still not acheived that admission from them! P.s. i love you now...anyway....back to the thread, we theorised on the songs for ages so lets summarise by drawing a timeline for the songs

Fran says the album is a story or book about J.Smith. We can take the song titles to be the titles of the chapters. Some of these chapters can go anywhere after the suicide i.e. Friends is when she reflects on things. We know that CB and BYWY are the first and last songs with J.Smith being the pivital song in there which sperates the songs between before and after commiting suicide.

first chapter
CHINESE BLUES (not quite figured out what happens in this chapter or its just an intro into his depressed world expressing his feelings and where people are out to get him)

next could be...
SOMETHING ANYTHING as he struggles to get through the days and keep himself afloat

LAST WORDS where he admits to himself that hes tried to hold on and find out whats going on but he cant do it anymore and so writes a ?suicide note for her

J. SMITH where he finally commits suicide only to be told you dont belong in heaven, not even hell and back to earth with you as that is hell for you

LONG WAY DOWN hes being sent back to Earth and he cant hide from it, hes like a coward trying to run away from his problems and hide but he realises he cantand hes not being allowed to, hes got to face up to them

GET UP in which he has to awake and get up basically and put things right

FRIENDS when she reflects on their relationship - this chapter could go anywhere after the suicide

BYWY when he reflects on his relationship with her and learns from his bad ways ??? only to then realise he cant turn back the time and put them right

That leaves SONG TO SELF to debate before or after suicide and i dont get broken mirror or quite free yet., it hasnt clicked yet so havent put them in. What do you guys think?

That's pretty good!!! I'd say "Broken Mirror" and "Song To Self" would fit in right between "Something Anything" and "Last Words" in your story timeline. Not sure about "Quite Free"...haven't heard it yet.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:23 PM Quote
Lestafox: you from Leicester? Just with a name like that... :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:25 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I like the voices at the beginning of BYWY. Sorta creepy in a cool way. hehe.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:35 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I like the voices at the beginning of BYWY. Sorta creepy in a cool way. hehe.

yes me too XD, when i hear it, in my imagination appear lots of black shadows, of people around something, but dunno what XD

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:43 PM Quote
Look, i've never been good with lyrics, and i think i've talked a load of arse through out this whole thing, BUT i am somehow loving the album more because of it. :) I love the lyrics, they make me think and i see stuff but i don't know what it means to the story. Haha.

Bryn
Bryn Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 9:07 PM Quote
Wow, I haven't been on here since last night... there has been a lot of progress since then! I have to let all these good theories sink in! But just to add something... Fran said it might help to read Tam O'Shanter. So I read it last night. Here's what I got that I think might be clues.

Tam O'Shanter is a guy who drinks recklessly whenever he has money. His wife predicts that it will lead him to a bad end. So I think Nick might be onto something here:
Quote:
Quite Free - Is this a song about J, it's not actually him singing it? It is about J recovering, he's in a padded cell. The girl may be the girl he loves? It's a song about things that people can't help, they are held back and not free to do their own thing due to certain habbits. J is in a padded cell, which may mean he's dangerous? The girl has a dirty mind which she can't free herself from. This may be when J and the girl meet, they meet due to their habbits?

So one night Tam is going home from a drinking binge. On his way home, he suddenly comes upon (he had been almost recklessly unafraid and heedless of any danger up to now) a party of evil spirit types, and dead people out dancing around their open coffins, murderers and their bloody knives etc. Horrible things. They want to get Tam, but he manages to run away to safety. That's a really abridged version, but it's the basic story. Any ideas as to how it fits in? These lines of the poem might fit in with the J. Smith story:

Nae man can tether Time nor Tide,
The hour approaches Tam maun ride;
That hour, o’ night’s black arch the key-stane,
That dreary hour he mounts his beast in;
And sic a night he taks the road in,
As ne’er poor sinner was abroad in.

Any ideas?

winnielok
winnielok Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 9:26 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
In the song J. Smith he dies, goes to heaven and is sent to hell. But for J, earth is hell so that's where he ends up at the end of the song.
I think it's time y'all got busy with your personal story lines.

Hi, Fran! Do you mean that J.Smith is someone who doesn't want to live in the world and he actually dies on Earth which is somewhere he used to hate when he was living his life, so he felt like dying in hell?

lestafox
lestafox Posted Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:14 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Lestafox: you from Leicester? Just with a name like that... :)

Yeah im from lesta, a LCFC fan and a Travis fan, if its the same in your case with "filbert" refering to filbert the fox then we are a rare species. In fact, evrything i support is going down hill pretty fast, is it just me??!! Am i bad luck??!! BTW is filbert looking like a squirel these days or a fox?

Pages Previous 1...5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:26 PM