Ruudio Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 10:36 AM Quote
Coldplay suck!

Travis rock in every way possible!

Re: Be honest. How many bands are better than Travis right n
Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 12:09 PM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:
One band. James.

Let me explain my logic. Like Travis, they've suffered for years from negative music press after a period of being their darlings (Gold Mother period compared to Good Feeling / Man Who period) despite maintaining a loyal following and having live shows that really take the recorded output of the band to new levels.

Both have come out with possibly the best albums of their careers this year and have done relatively well chart-wise despite minimal promotion whilst continuing to sell well live. As with Travis, James showcased their new material with a series of gigs before recording the last album (James played nineteen new songs over two nights in Hoxton last September without the comfort net of a second set). Where James, in my view, go past Travis, is the variety of sound they produce on record and live, probably down to the fact James are a seven-piece. James continually change their setlist throughout a tour, playing both new material but keeping the "greatest hits" fans happy at the same time, and bring new arrangements to songs with improvisation, both musically and lyrically. And whilst Fran is one of the most engaging and lively frontmen around, Tim Booth definitely shades him in that respect.

As bizarre and incomprehensible as this thread's theme is, I enjoyed reading this post!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 1:41 PM Quote
Ruudio wrote:
Coldplay suck!

Coldplay are brilliant. ;)

milos
milos Posted Wed 08 Oct, 2008 4:39 PM Quote
I don't see music as a competition, so i think that trying to work out which band is "better" is pointless. I hate those "best song/album/video of all time" lists for the same reason.

oneofthe3
oneofthe3 Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:24 AM Quote
by the way, James' album Hey Ma is in the 2 for £10 along with the original Best Of and last year's Fresh As A Daisy compilations at HMV. Well worth a tenner.

OHMEATPIES
OHMEATPIES Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:34 AM Quote
It's pretty hard for me to choose. Travis is my favorite, the end.

But since everyone is talking about Coldplay, I'll just say they annoy me, because of their popular&commercial way. I mean, everyone I talk to knows Coldplay, but Travis? "Never heard of 'em". That makes me very very angry, people.

jocelyn
jocelyn Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 1:55 AM Quote
NONE.TRAVIS IS THE BEST!!!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:21 AM Quote
OHMEATPIES wrote:
It's pretty hard for me to choose. Travis is my favorite, the end.

But since everyone is talking about Coldplay, I'll just say they annoy me, because of their popular&commercial way. I mean, everyone I talk to knows Coldplay, but Travis? "Never heard of 'em". That makes me very very angry, people.

And that annoys me what you said. Coldplay being popular shouldn't mean you dislike the band. They're a great band, who make great music. The fact they're popular, as Travis are currently not very popular, shouldn't make a difference. If you dislike them, fair enough, but i hate it when people start slagging bands/singers off when they get some success. :)

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:43 AM Quote
Coldplay's alright. They don't bother me in the slightest, nor do they excite me all that much, and since this thread is entirely subjective anyway I'll just go ahead and declare Shiver the best Coldplay song ever while I'm at it. ;)

As to the question, According to my Last.fm Charts, I listen to three bands more often than Travis, and they are Manic Street Preachers, Radiohead, and Hüsker Dü...which sounds about right. Travis are currently tied with Voxtrot, which is quite a feat actually, since I have every Travis album uploaded to my computer, and Voxtrot only has one album and a couple of EPs. Which is surprising to me. I guess I just had them on repeat for a month straight or something. :D

Haha, My Charts are totally mystifying. I only have one Radiohead album uploaded, and it seems like I never listen to them anymore, and yet...I do have loads of singles from the Bends though, I was on a random quest one year to collect them all.

Anyway, despite my listening habits, which have more to do with me collecting things from my very favorite bands (and that top four is a very accurate representation of my actual favorite bands, so now they secret is out), so they come up more often whilst listening on shuffle, I'd have to say that I actually probably like loads of bands more than Travis now. *shrug* But I do love me some Travis, and I will always go see them play because I love their live show, and I will buy their albums and probably enjoy them...so...

Have a blathered on long enough to kill the thread yet??? :D

PS: Just talking about this is making me all nostalgic. I predict Hüsker Dü is going to eclipse Radiohead and take over the #2 spot tonight. At this point nobody is ever catching up to MSP though. ;)

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 11:27 AM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:
by the way, James' album Hey Ma is in the 2 for £10 along with the original Best Of and last year's Fresh As A Daisy compilations at HMV. Well worth a tenner.

Are you on commission for this?

oneofthe3
oneofthe3 Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 11:47 AM Quote
i should be

did i mention their UK tour in December?

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 11:56 AM Quote
No , but you have now. *goes off to look*

paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 2:10 PM Quote
The Frames- easily!

Craig
Craig Posted Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:52 PM Quote
i bet james aint intrested in meetingthe fans and chatting with them